Quick Splits

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by sqkcrk, Jun 10, 2011.

1. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I got 100 queens a week ago today. I also had 10 pallets of really strong colonies, 40 hives. And I had 10 empty pallets.

So, instead of spending alot of time looking for queens or shaking bees off of brood and sticking an excluder between the deeps, I handled it another way.

I moved the 10 pallets of bees to another yard and split them onto the empty pallets. I set out 10 pallets of two story hives w/ an empty pallet in front of each. Then I took the top box of the hive closest to the empty and moved it to the empty pallet and put the bottom box on the other space in line w/ the first. These are 4way pallets. Then I took the top box from the remaining hive on the original pallet and put it down on the pallet wherte the first hive had been. So on and son on until 40 became 80.

Then I put covers on the ones w/out and went home.

I figured by moving them from one yd to the next, that that would keep them from drifting back to where they came from.

After leaving them alone for 48 hours I went back, yesterday and went thru the splits looking for signs of queenrightness and queenlessness, so I would know where to put my caged queens.

Quite often I would hear the queenless roar, and I would still look to be sure. Trust, but verify. Other times I would see the queen and know that there wasn't one in the other half. Still others I would find Emergency Queen Cells just started and know I could use a queen there too. Those I would destroy the EQCs first and then add the Queen.

It all went pretty well. Conditions were good enuf that I could work w/out veil or gloves. Not much of a nectar flow on. Nothing shaking out of the combs.

These queens were in JZsBZs Queen Cages. I like them for the ease of being able to stick them down between two frames pretty easily. What I don't like is the candy plug. I'm used to digging out some of the candy, in wooden cages, and sticking a nail thru the candy. You can't do that w/ JZsBZs Cages or most of the time you will end up puishing the plug into the cage. So I just left the candy plug alone.

When I was splitting, 2.5 days ago now, there was an empty hive next to a strong hive. so I split the strong hive and then split it again into the deadout. Then I stuck the candy plug end of 4 queen cages, w/ queens of course, between the frames so the cage was sticking up above the frames and worked the rest of the yard. I couldn't tell the difference in how the bees treated the queens. Maybe they hadn't been w/out their queen long enuf.

I left those queens there. They were released when I got back yesterday. So, it doesn't take long to eat out the candy plug, when they want to.

Better stop now. C ya.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

It is great to hear how some folks have been able to work efficiency into their systems, whether through necessity or innovation. It helps those following avoid mistakes and/or save time. Thanks Mark.

3. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

As long as it works, of course. I'll be checking them next week, a week from now. Those w/ queen cells rejected their queen.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Mark writes:
    I'm used to digging out some of the candy, in wooden cages, and sticking a nail thru the candy.

tecumseh:
    it is probable in the candy. I have no problem in piercing the candy used by BWeaver in those JZ cages with a nail. the stuff I make up here (for catching some of my own stuff and almost always for my own use) is sometimes more like rock candy and you ain't gettin' no nail thru that stuff. I also got to check those later since the candy can be a bit of a challange for the girls to chew thru.

interesting approach and thanks for the full description.

5. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Nice chunk of knowledge there, Mark. Thanks for the post.