Rain situation

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Sep 4, 2011.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

:wave: Just wondering how the rain situation is going on around the bee world? Here in NW Arkansas it is BAD. We have had very little rain these last 3 months, but it isn't near what our neighbors in Texas have been going through. My heart goes out to them.

I haven't taken any honey this year, and so far I am glad because I am afraid if we don't get some significant rain within the next few days, we won't have much in the way of blooms....Plus we won't have any fall pasture for our livestock. :( :(

Jack - wondering what you guys in West Plains have received?? Since I think you are the closest beek on this forum to where I live.

We were so hoping for some rain off Lee, but all we have had today is clouds. At least the temps are nice.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

rain??? what's that?

3. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Last rain here was June 22. We've had 83 days of 100+ temps. For consecutive days of 100+, the summer of 2011 holds the #1 spot :drinks: with 44 and the #9 spot with 22 (those streaks were speparated by a 96 degree day).

The 60% chance of rain that was forecast last week turned into 10% today, with none happening.

A "cold front" is moving through the area with 30-40mph winds so, we have 4 or 5 large grass fires being fought. One small town has had an evacuation ordered.

But, tomorrow the high is forecast to be 86. :yahoo: Rain can't be far behind!

Walt

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

We did not get any rain for the month of Aug. and our first rain was yesterday, a good little down pour for an hour with some very good winds, has cooled off today with some sprinklers and overcast all day. I just can not believe how the grass has greened up over night. just might get a little bit of hay after all. Pastures were all but gone and was worried I was going to have to start feeding hay when I don't have enough to make it through the winter as it is.

All hives are on the lite side and will need to be fed to make it through the winter.

5. ccd11

ccd11 New Member

Yep, when that front blew through here in East Texas yesterday it was like a new dust bowl was underway.

The wind was ripping great clouds of dust off the parched fields and mixing it with the smoke from numerous wildfires.

It was really rather eerie!

6. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Kinda went throught the same thing in Saudi Arabia and Kuwait back in '91. Oil well fires and dust storms. Like you said ccd11, eerie.

7. Dbure

Dbure New Member

Hello Arkiebee. I live in Northeast Texas and I have not seen any significant rain in a few months. Things are so dry here that the grass has not been cut all summer and it crunches under your feet. I have been feeding my bees a quart of sugar water for each hive once a week and keeping a fresh supply of water everyday and they have been surviving. They have been going through the quart of feed in less than a day. My husband and I decided early on not to take any of their honey this year to give them a chance to get established. It would be so very easy to take some, but I will gladly leave every drop if necessary to keep those hives alive.

Today it was cool here from a front that has come through and the bearding has been less than in days before. The bees are not having to spend as much time keeping the hives cool and seem to be foraging more. They are bringing in some pollen from who knows where. It was a relief to see it because I have seen no flowers down here for a very long time. Even the mosquitos which are a problem here this time of year are gone. :shock:

8. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Here in Washington State, we had a real late start to summer. Not much rain in August but from may to July our bees had to do the back stroke to get to their food sources. They say this week is going to be our hottest of the year. Upper 80's lol

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

arkiebee, here in Fair Grove, Mo. we had about a 1/2 in. in Aug. :( but 30 miles north things are green and and wild flowers are blooming.The hives i have there are heavy :thumbsup: , but here at home i'm feeding heavy and starting to combine weak hives with strong hives. The aster is full of buds and ready to bloom if we get a rain. :roll: Jack

10. me2pl

me2pl New Member

here in Northern CA, we had a late winter, so we haven't seen rain here for a while

11. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Got 1/2 inch yesterday, and one and a half inches last night. :thumbsup: Maybe the Aster will start blooming now. tec, and Walt. i'm not bragging i'm just happy and thankful. Jack

12. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I feel good for you, Jack.

The highs here are only in the mid-90's and forecast says 20% and 30% chances of rain. Even that sounds good since it was 0% for so long. It will rain before long. :beg:

Walt

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

or that is what they tell us. :beg:

14. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Rain, glorious slow rain here this morning. The goldenrod (already in bloom) and asters should benefit. It won't be a very pretty fall here as most of the trees have dropped half their leaves already.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

we got a nice rain last night. looking at the radar shot Walt should have gotten a drink also. I will check the rain gauge when the sun rises.

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

:yahoo: :yahoo:

17. Walt B

Walt B New Member

We got our first rain since June 22 this morning. The rain, with a light and sound show, started this morning at 12:20 and stopped somewhere around 1:30.

We had 1" of rain and most of our rain collection barrels "runneth over". :Dancing:

Walt

18. LtlWilli

LtlWilli New Member

Hallelujah!....We finally got an inch over the course of the night. ...So glad to see it, and I slept like a rock.
    LtlWilli

19. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I love the sound of a night rain on a metal roof... what's with that?

The rain gauge says we got 1 and 3/4 inch. Seems like according to the folks about the total appears to be somewhere between 1 and 2 inches.
    :yahoo:

20. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well gotta say for us in southwest florida we have had the most rain Ive seen in years this summer,
    more worried about mold then flowers , Im praying hard to send it your way cause we dont need it here.
    But then again you know how it goes, once you start getting it we probably wont get a drop