Rain

Discussion in 'General Gardening' started by Gypsi, May 19, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

My gardening ideas and my beekeeping ideas are calling for rain. We got tornadoes. 2.5 to 3 inches of rain scattered around. I got 3/8 of an inch maybe. I just lost 2 hives to mediocre flow and not pumping them full of sugar syrup. We have had enough cold fronts I couldn't put tilapia in my pond yet, the ground in the garden is like concrete, so most of my garden isn't in. I think it is getting close to time to move, but I have no idea where. That or just give up beekeeping, gardening and anything involving going outdoors. It was 92 and miserably humid all weekend, but it will not rain.

I'm going to sell at least 2 hives, try to keep maybe 2. One a nuc, one a deep. There is no sense in keeping Imperial sugar in business. There is no sense in keeping Dadant in business, and I am sure in heck not buying more queens. I will learn to make them or do without.

Obviously I am a bit depressed. That is actually why I don't visit the bee forums anymore. I don't need an extractor, I will probably never need an extractor, and all this talk about honey is depressing, I have to buy mine from china in the grocery store.

2. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

Bummer Gypsi, I can't offer any help but will share what a friend told me one time: If you'll eat a live frog each morning there will be nothing worse happen to either of you the rest of the day.

Haven't tried it but it sounds feasible. My heart goes out to you. And let me know if you try the frog thing.......

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Morning Gypsi. I just woke up to read about the tornadoes across the plains and elsewhere. Pep talk when a guy is in you position is not always welcome, so let's just say, I'm standing in your corner. Dang weather! Indiana can always use a few more good keeps. If you like basketball and corn, you will fit right in. Seriously though, keep your chin up friend....

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Gypsi, hang in there. A couple of years ago I went through a period where absolutely nothing seemed to go my way. One's mindset can become cloudy so that you fail to even take notice of the good things that happen. It was actually at that time this forum seemed to be a beacon of light for me anyway. (Thanks Efmesch).
    The sun will rise, and the clouds do move on. :mrgreen:
    (and we'll always be here) :wink:

5. Gypsi

thank you, and I'll pass on the frog. I just need to cut my hive count back profitably before they kill each other off robbing... and one day at a time. I can water my 1/3 acre. Can't afford to water the world..

6. power napper

power napper New Member

Hang in there. Think positive thoughts if you can, time changes everything. Things can always be worse.

7. Gypsi

yup. gets worse when the fires start. So far they haven't burned my house. good news. my abscond seems to be who is living in my swarm trap. hive 5 has too many bees to have swarmed.