Raising quail

Discussion in 'The Rural Life' started by power napper, Apr 3, 2013.

1. power napper

power napper New Member

We are in the first stage of planning for raising coturnix quail and looking for any good tips of things to do and not to do. The plan is for a meat source as well as the eggs for consumption. Any and all advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Omie

Omie Active Member

I looke dinto that a couple years ago. Seems like a great idea. I just coudln't get into the thought of snipping their little heads off myself with a big scissors...though that's probably the most humane way of killing them. Like rabbits, they are too cute!

3. flyweed

flyweed New Member

Very cool, my family and I now raise Emu's..but we started out with Coturnix (japanese) Quail, and Chukar Partridge. Quail are SUPER easy to raise in small areas..I think we had 20-25 Coturnix in a cage that was 3 feet deep, by 8 feet long...had a nesting box/solid wood room on one end, and the rest was hardware cloth. They thrived. during the season we had dozens and dozens of eggs...I loved the taste of the quail eggs, as they are very rich..but they did make some of my family sick, including my wife..not sure why, but their stomachs just would not agree with quail eggs, and they made them sick everytime they ate one, even if the egg was just an ingredient in a cake, or cookies or something. Weird, I know!

my advice is NOT raise chukar Partridge, they are mean birds, and would constantly fight in the same size cage our quail were in. You will LOVE raising quail. Not much meat on them, but they are tastey little birds. Just keep them fed and watered, and they will thrive. I loved pickling the eggs, they are excellent that way.

it's been about 2 years since I've raise any Coturnix, but they are super easy to hatch if you have an incubator. They do NOT nest either..they will just lay eggs wherever..so be sure and check the cage often, because other quail will step on and break the eggs.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hope that helps a bit.

Dan