Ran into a swarm yesterday

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by G3farms, Apr 20, 2011.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

literally.............coming home from work, headed down I-75 going about 65 mph when all of a sudden the windshield was splattered with hundreds of bugs, then I saw one stuck under the windshield wiper, yep honeybees :eek: . They must have been swarming across the interstate at the exit ramp bridge.

That was a first for me!!

2. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Did you get the queen? maybe they will follow you home if you did. :mrgreen: sorry not funny. Jim

3. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

G3,
    Wow, I've never heard that one before. How do you come across so many swarms anyway? Do you end up driving pretty far for some? Either way, congrats.

I've been putting my name "out there" for the first time this year for swarm calls. Every township office, etc. I've called says they don't remember the last time they received a swarm call. My hopes are high, but I don't know if I can really expect any. Wish me luck.

-Dan

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Bsweet it was hard to tell, the one under the wiper and what was stuck in the grill were the only ones identifiable, the rest were just a splatter.

d.magnitude just lucky I guess, last year only got one swarm call and one bee tree call if I remember right. All have been inside of Knox county had two calls that the bees moved on before I got tot them. Even got another one tonight out of the blue.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Dan, call the exterminating companies. That's where 90% of my calls come from. The only ones I have gotten from the authorities have been when the swarm landed on their property.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Craigs list has given me several calls this year along with the ag extension agent and other beekeeping forums.

7. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

and don't forget to get listed for swarm removal with the local and state associations, I got one from someone that checked with the TBA and several that got referred to me from other local association members.

8. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

Good tips guys,
    I'm on my local club's swarm list, but that's it so far. I hadn't thought of calling exterminators, and I'd never have thought to list on Craigslist.

I've been trying to imagine "who would I call if I saw a swarm and wasn't a beekeeper?" That's hard to imagine now that I am a beekeeper and know so many. Truth be told, I'd probably just do a google search for honey bee removal. When I did that, I found a beeremovalsource.com page that lists beekeepers in my state. I'll try to get on that list too.

Admin- Do you think this site could start a listing of people willing to assist w/ swarms and removals that might show up on a web search?

Thanks,
    Dan

9. Hobie

Hobie New Member

A friend of mine was out sailing on the bay when a honeybee swarm passed through. Not nearly as devastating on the bees as a windshield, but he said keeping his guests calm while hundreds of bees kind of swirled through the sails was a challenge.

(Separate reports from the picnic area showed that the swarm successfully made it to the state park.)