Rape seed for bees?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by BjornBee, Nov 6, 2011.

1. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Anybody have any information on Rape seed benefits for bees? Does it flower? Any honey production value?

Thank you.

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Yes it flowers

Big fields of small yellow flowers. I have pics taken in Germany but not sure where they are.

Rape is a type of mustard As far as I know. ( yep , Brassicca)
    Also grown for oil.

I am not sure of bee side though.

3. Zulu

Zulu Member

Mike, a quick google image search found pics and some bee info

Big pollen producer. The Chinese sell lots of the pollen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Zulu

Zulu Member

I love these types of queries as I learn from the search

For years I have seen the yellow fields , back in Africa, in England and in Germany and always just thought it was Mustard.

Rapeseed is the origin of Canola oil.

The flowers produce great qty of nectar , but the honey is bakery grade due to easy granulation and peppery taste. Used mostly for blending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brassica_napus

5. BjornBee

BjornBee New Member

Thank you Zulu.

Looks like something to plant. I'm not much of a honey producer. I just need things to feed the bees at key times of the year, and perhaps offer something beyond all the harmful field crops grown in some of the areas around my yards.

I did buckwheat. But that didn't really seem to produce enough to make it worth planting again. But I know we have some sort of wild mustard plant that grows around here in abundance. So maybe rape would be the same in what it requires to thrive.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I have planted Rape when i had Hogs, they loved it.It had yellow flowers like zulu said, and big broad leaves, the bees worked it but in those days bees worked about everything and i never paid much attention to what they got from it.Good question Mike. Jack

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

from contact with some North Dakota beekeeper i know the nectar is very white. the product i saw was really water white. rape seed honey is often used in producing creamed honey since it granulates so quickly <the first reference I noticed to rape seed was in Europe where it was used to this end.

Canola is a varieties of rape seed selected by the Canadian government based on some low level of toxin typically found in rape seed. There has been some recent articles in the ABJ concerning Canola. Evidently there is a lot of it planted in the middle Canadian Providences. My understanding is Canola makes very quickly as a crop and has some soil building benefits as well.