rape seed honey granulation

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by ronsin, Jun 12, 2012.

1. ronsin

ronsin New Member

can anyone advise me if rape seed honey granulates quicker in a warm or cool place thanks

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

warm or cool is a relative thing. rape seed honey (also call canola in Canada) and sunflower do granulate quicker than most honey and at least with the former at temperature of about 50 degrees granulates quickly.

3. ronsin

ronsin New Member

thanks tecumseh

4. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Please can you give more information ?

Do you mean OSR honey in supers, cut comb, tubs or jars ?

I believe the varieties of OSR grown in the UK are different from canola and have changed over the years.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a Barbarian snip..
    I believe the varieties of OSR grown in the UK are different from canola and have changed over the years.

tecumseh:
    canola is likely a subject that the Canadian member could lend some information.... from what I have read and been told (either by Canadian beekeepers or North Dakota beekeepers... both of the commercial variety) Canola is a subset of rape seed. Canola represents various rape seed varieties documented by the Canadian government not to contain a certain ingredient that is considered harmful to humans and thereby it can be utilized easily as Canola oil.

My one experience with seeing Canola or rape seed honey was it made a very light colored honey approximating water white in color. Sunflowers honey tends to be somewhat yellowish.

6. ronsin

ronsin New Member

osr honey

hi barbarian im talking about rape honey in tubs. i have customers asking me for honey but am waiting for it to harden prior to creaming, all combs were capped off so water content must be ok .bleeding marvelous seems that if you leave it on the hive for a few extra days it goes solid in no time <suppose it could be as tecumseh suggested it may due to temp inside hive>

7. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

OSR Honey

I apologize if you have just heard a scream of rage and some choice swear words. I had just about got to the end of the following piece when the ****** computer shut down to do an update and wiped the lot.

There is no OSR in my area. The nearest is 10-15 miles away. There is OSR at all compass points around. I don't take my hives to the OSR.

First of all --- well done. You have done the right thing and extracted the honey as soon as the crop has finished. Were the darlings their usual nasty selves ? It is no joke to have to scrape down comb and set honey with a cut down spoon. OSR honey does granulate quickly.

Once in the tubs, the honey will granulate quickest at about room temperature. Cold will slow the granulation. You may be able to speed the granulation by 'seeding' your liquid honey with some granulated honey. Once the honey has set (hard), you can re-liquify it in a warming cabinet. The re-liquified honey can be used to make creamed honey or jarred as liquid. This re-liquified honey will not granulate as quickly.

OSR has been cropped for honey for many years. Your local association will have a pool of tips and anecdotes. .:eek:ldtimer:

8. RE Jones

RE Jones New Member

I do not know how to get it to granulate, but I have some from Germany, that is probably the best honey I have ever tried.
    Robert

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Unless your making creamed honey, why would you want it to crystallize?

10. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

OSR Honey

It would be nice if OSR honey did not crystallize/granulate. Honey from OSR granulates very quickly. In order to extract the liquid honey from the supers, the honey has to be extracted almost as soon as the plants finish flowering or the hives taken away from the fields. You cannot leave a stack of supers for a few weeks before you extract --- they will be solid.

Extract as soon as possible then leave the honey in tubs/pails/buckets to granulate. You soon get a very hard granulation --- your spoon will bend if you try to sample it. In a sealed tub, the granulated honey will keep for years.

The granulated honey can be re-liquified in a warming cabinet. The resultant liquid can be bottled, blended or processed into a soft set creamed honey.