rare sight

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Mar 29, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, I had been on vacation for 5 days and come back and went to check the new queen nuc I had put together with a frame that had 5 cells on it, there were almost no bees at the door so I looked in and the bees were there but just not doing anything, heck they didnt even care I was there (very odd and with no smoke) so I pulled the frame and there they were, 2 queens fighting it out, I just stood there and watched and after a min or 2 I thought about the other cells and pulled the next frame over and it had 3 cells still waiting to hatch so I put it in the next box over that was empty and then went back to watch the fight and oddly they just broke up and went wandering off (end of round 1 maybe?) so I added another frame of capped brood and 1 of food to the 3 cells and closed everything up (still wanting to shoot myself for not having the camera with me):roll:

2. rast

rast New Member

Yeah, we want to shoot you too!:grin: Just kidding. I agree, a rare sight.

3. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

Yep. I got a blindfold around here somewhere, and I'll get my wrist rocket loaded up.

Just kidding, thanks for sharing.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Did you get to hear them piping at each other also?

5. clinch

clinch New Member

Is that really a thing?

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Most certainly is!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qXLEZejRow

Turn your volume WIDE OPEN and listen good. sounds kind of like a dirt dauber building a nest, kind of a muffled buzzz buzzzz buzzzz buzzz sound.

She is calling out the other queens (if there are any) to fight for the throne.

7. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I went into my hive today because they seemed kind of slow. I removed the queen from this hive on March 20th and let them rear some queens. There were still loads of bees but I didn't see the queen. I did hear that very distict piping but the bees were balling whatever it was coming from. Hopefully my virgin queen waiting for the warm temps this weekend. Tons of drones around, one had white eyes so I set him free.

8. Omie

Omie New Member

That youtube video is so cool. You can actually see her vibrating her wings each time she stops to pipe. AWESOME. I can't wait to make up some new nucs next month!

9. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

that was your queen.

excellent video g3, as omie said AWESOME. i have a digital recording of a piping queen recorded from one of my own hives. when you guys are done shooting zookeep....if he's still standing i'll shoot him again!:lol:

ps zookeep
    very cool, thanks for posting that story!

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Can not take credit for the piping queen video, that belongs to John Pluta from down in GA.

But I agree good video of it, just had to be at the right place at the right time.

11. 2kooldad

2kooldad New Member

you need to have a camera at all times in florida....repeate that 10 times every morning before you go to the bathroom...you'll learn it quickly that way...lol