Re-installing Drone Brood Frames

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by litefoot, May 17, 2013.

1. litefoot

litefoot New Member

I've got 4-5 frames of drone brood in various stages of development. I removed and froze these after dealing with the laying worker(s) in the colony. They've now thawed and it's a nasty goopy mess. Do I cull these frames or do I give the bees a chance to clean it up. I hate putting this back in any of my hives. Should I have placed the comb back in before it thawed? Comb2.JPG Comb1.JPG Also, can anyone tell me why my Enter/Return key doesn't work anymore?

2. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

‚ÄčThat's a human evaluation. The bees look at it differently---it's a delicious opportunity to recycle hard earned protein into new bees.

3. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

4. litefoot

litefoot New Member

OK, I'll return some of those frames. And thanks riverbee for the tip.:yahoo:
    My
    Return
    key
    is
    now
    working!

I typed Alt-F5 as per Charles' instructions!

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

litefoot
    you
    are
    welcome...
    :lol:

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Question.
    I have a few frames that are like this as a result of a couple hives that developed drone laying queens.
    If these frames with sporadic drone capped cells are placed in a healthy colony, will the workers remove the dead pupae and return the cells to worker size or will they be forever drone cells?
    Hmmmmmmm?

7. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I think that I do have a drone laying queen too. I have seen quite a few more drones than normal at the hive entrance. Should I cull the queen and let them raise their own...finding a queen is quite difficult over here.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Don't act on a hunch. Confirm first. Many drones could mean the queen has been superceded and the drones are waiting for the virgin to fly. You could be killing your new queen.

9. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Forget about finding the queen---look at your frames of brood. If you have only drones, than your assumption is correct. But if you've got worker brood, the increase in drones could simply be a seasonal appearance.