Re-queening with NUC

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by brendantm130, May 27, 2012.

1. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

How do you go about re-queening with a Nuc? I've got a hive with a pretty spotty brood pattern and was thinking about using a swarm nuc to re-queen. Pinch the poor queen, and then do a newspaper combine thither the nuc? I guess I'd need to put them in 10 frame equipment first.

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

sounds like you pretty much have it figured out. some folks would put the weaker populated hive on top for combining and other folks just the opposite. I suspect to some degree that doesn't matter.

3. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

The population with the poor pattern queen is large, and the Nuc is well, still only a nuc.

4. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Find the queen you want to replace, remove her. One layer of newspaper, put an empty ten frame box on it and then add your 5 frames from your nuc on top with 5 additional frames. Once they have combined, go in and consolidate your frames to the configuration you want.
    Pretty much what you had suggested. :thumbsup:

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

you should provide an entry for both units. when I do this I like to place the entrances on opposite side of the hive.

6. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

So yesterday I went out to do it and found that the poor pattern has greatly improved. They had been filling the brood frames with honey, not around, but mixed up. I had an empty med of drawn comb on top for them to fill but it was empty. I took out some full frames of capped honey and put into the middle of the box drawn frames to lay in. and now they are wall to wall eggs. I'm not sure why they were back filling the brood chamber, with an empty med to fill.

Then I was ready to put the swarm Nuc into 10 frames. No queen and 2 emergency cells. Maybe she was a virgin and didn't make it back. The frame with cells on it was one I gave them to help out with the population, which is smallish. So we'll see what happens.

My other 4 hives look great.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're going to get" - Forrest Gump

Sometimes hives are like that that too, just when you think you know what's going on.....................................? :lol:

8. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Is it possible that you had a queen excluder between the brood box and the super? If so, that might explain why the bees preferred to stay down below and not fill the available built combs up above until you "persuaded" them with bait.

9. brendantm130

brendantm130 New Member

Never use them. They have one med almost full, as well as the empty.