Re-Queening

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by kemptville, Jul 12, 2012.

1. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Afternoon all!

I re-queened one of my hives last Sunday and am curious if the queen isn't accepted what to do next? Currently I have two hives - both are double deep with the main brood nests in the lower boxes (1) - the top brood chambers (2) are mainly full of honey. If the queen isn't accepted, I will likely combine the queenless hive with the queenright hive using the newspaper method. How should I go about doing this? As I said, both bottom chambers (1) are the main nest - so will this pose an issue if I take the bottom chamber (1) from the queenless hive and place it on top of the queenright's first brood chamber (1) then add the queenless' second brood chamber (2) on top. What should I do with the fourth second brood chamber (2) - add it too - creating a tall and massive colony?

I wish I could draw you all a picture but here goes with numbers

Currently a=queenright hive b=queenless hive

2a 2b
    1a 1b

Combining

2a
    2b
    1b
    1a

Hope this makes sense

If I shouldn't be combining, what would you recommend?

Both hives were started this Spring in May

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would remove the queen cage and wait one week. Then observe the eggs from a successful requeening and not worry about combining.

Other than that, I might add a frame of eggs and larva rather than combining.

3. Omie

Omie New Member

You can add a frame of fresh eggs from the good hive to the queenless hive anyway- if they need to, they'll get to work making a new queen from it right away, and you'll save some time. If they like their new queen, they will simply raise the eggs as workers. The bees will know what they need!

4. kemptville

kemptville New Member

Good News - I won't have to combine the hives - I looked in on it yesterday and found eggs on two frames and saw the queen! Thanks for your help!