re starting a trap-out in pine tree ( now am a bit more organized )

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by barry42001, Mar 16, 2012.

1. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Last year had a colony of bees inside a old semi hollow pine tree ( cat faced pine whatever that is) The entrance is, little did I know at the time is actually quite small and located in a difficult place to handily attach a cone but I did * bees really can sting through cotton bee suit lol. with the cone attached, and beesw clustering around base of cone moved bait hive which is a developing colony headed by buckfast queen as close as possible to base of cone--will have to build a platform and mount it to tree to properly place hive--bees are infact entering the bait hive from the feral colony ya can see that. Pictures to follow:razz: more pics to follow

Barry
    Bee Tree.jpg

Feral Honeybees.jpg

2. jim314

jim314 New Member

Oh good, another trapout thread.:thumbsup: I like these because someday I hope to do one. I'll sit back and watch. Good luck Berry !
    Jim

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I find it interesting when viewing some of these threads on trap-outs at just how low some of these colonies are! :thumbsup:
    The ones I get called to are always ladder material. :roll:

Go get 'em Barry :mrgreen:

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You are starting this one again? what happened on the first one?

I did one twice last year also because the owners wanted it ended after just a few days because they didn't see any more bees coming out of the cone.

5. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

when I orginally screen in the opening the whole opening, and using a queen cell protector for a cone, ( advice I recieved from a wisened beek, the bees could not find thier way out, large numbers sufficated in a ball and I couldn't tell exactly the enterance was- I had actually chain sawed out a portion of the center of the tree expecting a large cavity--nope must be a long relatively narrow one, did FINALLY locate the enterance and after the ladies proceeded to tatoo me a bit, right through the full bee suit, and coveralls ( that was a suprise ) I was wearing even through the leather gloves once.
    anyway thats the reason combined with the owner say tree will come down with or without live bees--I do have a bit of time.
    Barry

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Do you already have a cone in place?

If not might be able to skin some of the bark off of the tree (it is coming down anyway) around the hole and take something like 1/4" plywood that is flexible to completely cover the hole in the tree, then cut a hole in the plywood to fit your trap cone into.

Just a thought.

7. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Cone is in place, and working, already bait hive getting recruits. The buckfast bees I have are very uniformity dark , am starting to see more blonde colored ( like feral colony ) showing up.Barry

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

IMAG0168.jpg IMAG0169.jpg IMAG0170.jpg
    Bait hive in re;ationship to trap-out

Bees roaming around looking to get back into the parent colony

attached cone with bees looking to go home--soon to the bait hive

9. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

Week 1 progress. Small cluster of bees near base of cone but numbers outside cone reducing.

10. jim314

jim314 New Member

Looks like they may have had 5 entrances since there are 4 globs of insulation?

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

whatcha looking at is that expanding foam commonly used to fill cracks initially I had screened in the the whole cavity not knowing where is the actual entrance in the cavity walls and when I have tried chainsaw open a cavity the wood was too hard to cut even with a chainsaw I tried to chisel it out in that took forever open even a small cavity I finally found the actual entrance to the hive and that's were I installed the phone entrance it's a little further back inside the cavity kind of the pain access that phone you see is from where I had sealed shut all this screening around the outside that failed in many bees die because they couldn't find the way out, with a change is that I've made is that a great deal of success aside from the fact that you not entering the bait hive as fast as I thought it would