Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: White Acres bee hive

Notice the inner cover between the honey supers. My friend had three complete hives but only one with bees. We loaded everything on the truck and I thought I kept all the active hive parts together. When I set it back up I noticed I had "parts" left over; an extra inner cover. It was about 3 a.m. and being a new beek I placed it where he had the other one, on top of the honey super. When I showed him this photo later, he gave me further instructions on where the inner cover should go. I have removed it now.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts

Enjoy them all nice and white and clean like that :mrgreen: It doesn't take long and they start to look a little different. :lol:
(Is that a queen excluder above the brood boxes?) Are there bees in this?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Yes, I have a queen excluder above the brood boxes and yes, the bees are living / working here.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: White Acres bee hive Updated 4-25-11

My first inspection of my honey supers was fun and found what I think is honey. I know it was heavy, heavier than I expected. One thing that surprised me was the top honey super was the active one with honey on about half the frames starting from the west (left) side. The 5 frames on the right side had small amounts but nothing at all like the left ones.

The bottom honey super didn't have a single frame with honey in it.
There were bees climbing around on several of the frames but very little comb build up. I thought they would have started at the bottom and went up but that's not the case with this hive now.

The bees were very docile, I had the smoker but didn't even use it.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,996 Posts

#1..Never use two undrawn supers at once. Let them draw out 8 frames and then add another. Once drawn, you can use two at once at the beginning of the honey flow.

#2..Bees always work from the top down, never from the bottom up.

#3..Being in Alabama, you have SHB. You should always give them room to expand, but as little as possible at any one time. The more empty space in a hive, the more damage the SHB will do.

#4..I see some pretty honey, but no brood. Is there brood in the other frames, or is your hive queenless?

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts

did you even take a taste of your honey??
Most times I can't resist.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Iddee said:
#4..I see some pretty honey, but no brood. Is there brood in the other frames, or is your hive queenless?
I have two brood supers, a queen excluder and then two honey supers set on a Dadant plastic stand. I didn't check but I hope my queen is alive and well in one of the bottom brood supers.

Thanks for your suggestions / advice.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

G3farms said:
did you even take a taste of your honey??
Most times I can't resist.
Yeah, I know what you mean. But no, I fought the urge because I didn't know if that was "legal" at this stage in the process. But now that I know it can be done, the next time I will.

And yes, Perrybee, it was a really good feeling.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

I plan another inspection this afternoon and if things have progressed as I expect, I should have one honey super full. If you've followed this thread and notice my first post with a photo of my hive, I placed two honey supers on when i set the hive up not knowing any better.

But my question this time is: If I find the top super full (or nearly so) do I remove it completely or just swap places with the bottom honey super?

If I remove it, then what? Is it too early to harvest the honey? The guy I bought the bees from said I ought to wait until the 3rd week in June to harvest any honey but didn't say why. I'd appreciate any advice you have to offer.

·
Registered
8,996 Posts

I harvest my first super this year about 3 weeks ago. My second and third a week ago. I harvest when a super is capped. The sooner you get it off, the whiter the cappings will be. I put them in the frig. or freezer for a few days, then seal them in plastic trash bags to keep pests and dust out. I extract at my leisure.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Made my second inspection of the swarm I brought home May 6 today. Temperature was 92 degrees and a very light breeze blowing. Bees were docile and busy. The photos show the work being done in the top brood box. The bees came with a brood box and these photos show the frames I added in a second brood box. I had several frames with drawn comb when I got the bees so after cleaning they were ready to start making deposits. Looks like they did. Comments / questions welcomed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
These photos are from my first hive. This is the one I placed two honey supers on the night I brought it home. Last inspection showed the bees were drawing comb on 5 frames left of center in the top super and on five frames right of center in the bottom super. I guess that's a girl's prerogative.

Anyway, I combined all the frames with drawn comb except two into the top super to see what happens. Hope I didn't confuse them too much by doing so. Comments / questions welcomed.

Attachments

1 - 16 of 16 Posts