Real Purple Honey

Discussion in 'Bees' started by Mama Beek, Oct 30, 2009.

1. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

[​IMG]

We get a lot of people asking us about this stuff so I thought I would share a picture. It's really PURPLE!!!and it's the best tasting honey we've ever had. It's pretty hard to come by I guess, we've only gotten just little bit twice since we've had the bees. To us it's the perfect honey, it tastes like a cross between the old grape nehi soda and cotton candy with a little bit of something extra that I can't put my finger on.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Never seen purple honey, what kind of flowers does this come from???

G3

3. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

That's the question of the century I guess. We get a different answer everytime we try to find out. Baby Beek swears it's the kudzu, and after tasting a couple of the blossoms I'm more inclined to think she's on the right track.

Some folks keep on trying to tell us it's the bees eating blackberries or elderberries or some sort of blueberry. The problem with that theory is that we don't see that honey in any hive until months after those berries are totally gone. :dontknow:

I don't know where it's coming from but it sure is good! :yahoo:

4. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

Another theory is that the mineral content in the soil affects the nectar of cotton, soy beans, and kudzu, and the bees have to work the blooms in a certain order to make the honey purple. I don't agree with that theory because our bees make the purple honey during what is supposed to be the summer dearth. The only thing blooming then, in our area, is kudzu.
    Purple honey is supposed to be a rare thing. The scientist say that it only occurs in a certain part of NC and Georgia and I reckon that's true because no one ever knows what we're talking about when we mention it. The bees have made purple honey every year we've had bees, but only enough to extract some twice. Also,the second time the honey was mixed a little with fall honey so it wasn't as pure as the first time. I think the bees have trouble finding the blooms, you can smell them but they are very hard to see.
    that's my theory (from watching the bees and what blooms when) anyway. I can't prove it so your welcome to make up one too if you'd like! :D

5. Charles

Charles New Member

Nehi grape soda and cotton candy, I bet a couple spoons of that on vanilla ice cream is really good! :clap:

6. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

We skip the ice cream, it muddles the flavor! It's hard not to just try to drink it... it's just that good. :D

7. bsolem

bsolem New Member

why doesnt anyone say where to get this? we are from minnesota visiting north carolina and would really like to pick some of this up. but no one ever says where to get it. we are in fayettevlille and looking for something close to us. we havce to head back today. please let me know. bsolem_23@yahoo.com

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It is an extreme rarity that only comes about in small quantities, and not every year. It is not available on the market.

9. bsolem

bsolem New Member

I have found some people that have found it and my sister found it a couple years ago but doesnt remember where. so someone has to have some for sale.

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

OK. It's always a possibility. The only one I know who ever got enough to sell is Mama beek, and only one year then. She is currently visiting in Missouri, although her home is near Fayetteville.

11. bsolem

bsolem New Member

is mama beek her business name? any way someone would be around that would probably sell some around there? how could i find it?

thanks.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Mama Beek is her name on this forum. I spoke with her today. She is leaving Missouri today and will be home tomorrow night. She said she would send you an email as soon as she gets on a computer, It may be Wednesday.

13. bsolem

bsolem New Member

ok. thanks a bunch.

14. bsolem

bsolem New Member

I have not heard from Mama Beek yet. any word?

thanks

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

She will be posting to you tonight.

16. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

Hi there bsolem. I wish I had some purple honey right now so that your curiosity could be satisfied, unfortunately we have none at all.

We have taken a small amount every year that we've had the bees but only one time was there enough for me to let go of any of it. We've only been home a little over 24 hours now and I haven't had a chance to open any of our hives yet so no purple honey available right now.

A friend of mine says she saw some at the Cumberland county fair last year for sale, but other than that I have no idea where a person might come by purple honey. :dontknow:

17. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I wonder if you fed sugar syrup with food coloring in it..............never mind :confused: :lol: :lol: :shock:

18. Bitty Bee

Bitty Bee New Member

:lol: G3, that might just work for the color but you couldn't duplicate the taste if you tried!

I'm hoping to get some purple honey this year. Circumstances are very similar to the other year that we got enough to harvest and the kudzu is just fixing to bloom. Fingers are crossed!

bsolem, I or my mom will email you when we do have some for sale. If you cross your fingers too we might get some and it might be enough to harvest.

19. bsolem

bsolem New Member

ok. thanks guys. just please let me know if you get any. I am back in minnesota now but my brother that lives in hope mills said that if someone is close with some he will pick it up for us and mail it back here to minnesota.

Thanks guys.

20. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Wait! Wait! What about the rest of us poor sods who never get purple honey?!?

Seriously, if you do have excess, I would love to try it. Will gladly buy a small jar or trade.

Edit: In retrospect, "excess" isn't the right word when discussing purple honey!