Recommendations for Inspiring and Innovative Beekeepers

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by alexanderkjones, Jul 31, 2013.

1. alexanderkjones

alexanderkjones New Member

Hi everyone, I'm currently doing research on innovative and inspiring people in the beekeeping community for an interview series I would like to produce. This includes scientists, researchers, backyard naturalists, the whole gamut.

‚ÄčIf you had the chance to sit down with anyone working with bees who would it be and what are the top 5 questions you would ask them?

2. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I got to say. The people I would like to set down and talk with are no longer with us. Miller, Root, Langstroth, etc. If I had to pick today it woud probably be Rudolph Jander out of KU the last Doctorial student of Dr Karl Von Frisch another possibility would be Micheal Bush

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Tell me about the last new thing you learned when you were looking or working a hive?

4. Ray

Ray Member

Tom and Suki Glenn, Micheal Bush, Sue Colby............ and there are at least a dozen members of this forum, I would like to follow around for a week! A week? A month? Until they started throwing rocks at me.
    The #1 question: "Tell me everything you know about honeybees"

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Lessee....Iddee, tecumseh, G3, riverrat, Brooksbeefarm, Blueblood, PapaKeith, Riverbee, JPthebeeman, Crofter, (my fingers are getting sore here) :wink:.........
    maybe this is easier:
    http://www.beekeepingforums.com/memberlist.php

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

He will likely shoot me for suggesting this... but Danny Weaver.... I have already had this conversation myself but....what decision and hurdles did he go thru in deciding to pursue a program to not treat bees for varroa? For some reason I have always admired the gumption it must have taken to make that kind of decision.

7. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome to the forum AlexanderKJones. There are some guys nod lady's on the forum who have become very implacable in what works for them. Beestings and reactions - Riverbee, trap outs -Iddee, cut outs - JP, commercial beekeeping - Tec what not to do - All of us.

8. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Jim Fischer (last time I heard he was somewhere around New York City) who has his name on a product called Fisher's Bee Quick. I do tend to admire folks who put something into practice that works and represents real value to others....

The first question would be why he invent such a product and the answer of course would be quite obvious to anyone who ever used bee go or honey robber (which are similar products that predated Bee Quick).

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I would say Jim Fischer, also. As great a product as he has, he could make millions from it, yet all profits from Fischer's Bee-Quick goes to The Eastern Apicultural Society of North America, Inc. (EAS). Jim takes nothing for himself. IMHO, He is a great asset to the beekeeping industry.

10. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I had forgot about Jim Fisher. I had the opertunity to visit with him by phone when I was just starting out beekeeping. He used to be active on another forum. I am unaware of any forums he is active on today. He used to have a website that pointed out products that advertised themselves as having honey in the product but there was no honey in it. believe he called it jims wall of shame.

11. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I had forgotten about Jim's Wall of Shame. The last I heard Jim had gotten divorces, sold his bees (I think in Virginia) and was with the Zoo or Botanical Garden in New York City.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

13. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Cool have never seen it . Thanks for the link Iddee.

14. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Like Apis said, thanks for the link.

15. alexanderkjones

alexanderkjones New Member

Thanks guys this is great feedback. I'm actually at EAS all this week if there's anyone you'd like to hear from!

16. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well since asked and I am now aware of EXACTLY where you are..... Seeley would be a good choice since I now seem to be surrounded by at least part of his intellectual flock.... as far as REAL BEEKEEPERS Michael Palmer would be someone who I have also wanted to have a conversation with.