Record keeping

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by efmesch, May 2, 2012.

1. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If you're anything like me, after you've finished going through your hives, the distinction between one and another gets a bit foggy. Come back to them a week later, and you have a problem remembering exactly what you did to this hive --or was it to the next?
    In order to help keep things straight, I worked out a sheet that can be kept under the roof and can be easily updated on each visit. The sheet is made for 5 visits but more sheets can be added as needed. It's best to keep them in a plastic sleeve so that they stay clean and legible. Filling it out should be pretty easily understandable, for most items requiring no more than a check or a number. If I succeed in uploading the scanned image you should be able to see it.
    Of course, it is not holy--it can be changed and adjusted to anyone's needs. Your suggestions for improvements are more than welcome.
    img007.jpg
    If you'd like to try it and can figure out how to copy the image, feel free to use it.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I can see it Efmesch, looks good! Thanks. :thumbsup:

3. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

I only have a few hives now but even then I had over 50, the management practice was equalize every thing at the start of the dandelions. No strong hives or week hives. From this point it is easy to see which hives even with a helping boost of bee and brood are not keeping pace with the rest and need requeening and which are excelling. From this point most of the hives fall into the norm and are treated the same so no individual records are needed the only ones that got marked where the ones that needed assistance (ReQueening) and the exceptional hives to graph from. I used the rock and notes on the hive.

4. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

Ops I meant to add the previous post to the current hive record keeping thread but reserected this thread in stead. Sorry

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I pretty much do as Apis describes above. Consistency across the board is my own desired ultimate outcome for a given yard although this is more difficult to achieve than you first might think. Rock on the top cover (front or back) typical indicate hives that need attention (feed or queen) and a rock in the middle of the top cover means I think the wind may take off the top cover (but none the less everything underneath the rock is normal). Hives with unusual problems I scribble notes to myself on the top and side of the hive. For myself the real important information is the color marking on the queen which indicates how long she has persisted.