Record Keeping

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sarah, Jan 12, 2013.

1. sarah

sarah New Member

Does anyone keep a record of individual hive activity? We will have 50 hives this year and I am wondering if by chance anyone has an app or software they use to tract hive inspection and/or hive activity/production. Thanks!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hello Sarah! :wave:

I see this your first post so let me be the first to WELCOME you to our friendly part of the beekeeping community.
    You will find this a great place to ask questions usually receiving prompt answers, all the while interspersed with humour.
    I am afraid I am old school and have a binder with individual hive numbers for my record keeping, but I believe member Zulu is into the "apps" thing for hive info.
    Hope to see you hanging around. If you feel like it, after a while you might want to try out the chat box for added fun. :mrgreen:

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

4. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Good question!
    Remembering exactly what you have done and needs watching in each hive is something that gets muddled very easily. I only have three hives at home and I lose track. My son has over 30 with a big increase last year and really sees the need for better record keeping. Taking notes is near impossible with being sticky and suited up. I had mused about using a voice activated recording system and compile things later.

5. blueblood

blueblood New Member

Welcome Sarah! I use a notebook but I don't have 50 hives either. :smile:

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I start out every year saying i'm going to keep good records this year.:thumbsup: Well instead of writing down each hive after i work it, i think i'll remember and write it down (like Crofter said) after i get this sticky stuff off.:roll: After working 10 to 15 hives in that yard ( i blame it on the hot sun) i can't remember if i worked all the hives or not, leave alone which hive had the problem i was going to write down. The voice recorder sounds like a good idea. Jack
    PS. no wisecracks about Big Al working on me.

7. Crofter

Crofter New Member

Mother used to knit connector strings on my mittens and string them through my sleeves so I didnt lose them! I am getting to an age again that I need them to keep track of my gloves............. Remember what I did in what hive??????

Having a lot of hives, it is easy to see why some operations give a blanket treatment to all hives the same. If one hive needs it the rest likely soon will: bang, all hives requeened or treated and you dont have to stand the bricks on end on certain hives, on edge on others or one atop the other. Now I forget which means what!

8. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Welcome to the forum of friendly beekeepers where you can learn every thing you want to know and maybe some you don"t.
    Grease pencil and wright on top of the cover or side of the hive some beekeepers use a colored pin code system to mark hives another I know painted sides of his top bricks 6 different colors and leaves the hive with the appropriate color showing. so he has a reference to how the hive was at his last visit. another guy uses small rocks his code is number of stones and placement on the cover. I employ the single rock approach any thing that is normal and what is expected if left plain only mark the anomalies and small note on the side of the hive.

9. kebee

kebee Active Member

Welcome sarah, great name same as my wife, can't give any advice on record keeping since I have only one hive but with what you have I surely would, heck next year with 4 I going to have something like a sheet of paper taped under each cover.

kebee

10. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Kebee, i hope you don't have screen bottom boards.:lol: Jack

11. Lburou

Lburou Member

Welcome sarah :)

I use Hive Tracks and it works fine for me. It offers the option to print a label for each hive that allows you to scan the label when you are in the field, giving you access to all the data for that hive (using your telephone). :)

12. kebee

kebee Active Member

Yes brooksbeefarm I do have screen bottom boards, have to with the heat here in the summer. I do have the plastic sheet that goes under it to keep most of the high wind out.

kebee

13. Marbees

Marbees Member

Welcome Sarah,
    Right now I'm using a very sophisticated two bricks code on the the top of my hives.
    Eventually I may switch to some new software:smile:

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Greetings on joining the forum Sarah, You'll always get good advice here--and promptly

15. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

I'm just using a binder with a sheet for each hive. I have one page with a spreadsheet to make short notes on my nucs. That, and the brick code helps too.

I tried Hive Tracks last year, but didn't care for it. I had to take notes on paper in the field and then transfer when I got home. I don't like doing the same task twice. There's no way I was taking a laptop out with me to the beeyards, and I'd be way out of wifi range anyway. Plus I didn't think the info I wanted was accessible enough in the program.

Now that they they have a mobile app and a system where you can print a scannable code for each hive, I may revisit HiveTracks again. I'm a holdout and don't have a smartphone, but if my bee biz grew enough that I could justify the cost (and write it off), I may take the plunge. For me, 50+ hives might be that "economic threshold"*.

-Dan

*tec, don't ream me out for misusing that term.

16. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

In the days when I was less experienced and more energetic I used to keep a record sheet inside a plastic protective "envelope" inside each hive---above the inner top, below the telescoping roof. The sheet had an outline of main points that could easily be checked off or filled in with numbers to keep track of the main events of importance: date, health, number of frames with brood, honey, pollen, addition or removal of frames, queen seen/not seen, etc.
    Somewhere on the forum I posted a copy of my record sheet but at the moment I can't find it---maybe later in the day I'll have time.

17. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

I just spent an hour unsuccessfully searching for the thread where I posted the scanned picture of my management record sheet and am ready to give up. Maybe someone remembers it and can provide a link to it. I'm pretty sure that Perry and Zulu wrote in the same thread. Around the same time Zulu gave info on another, computerized management program. It's much more thorough than mine, but entails more effort at maintaining it.

18. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

19. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

That's a good thread, but not the one I'm thinking of----the sheet I scanned came out the size of a picture before enlarging it to full size and I'm pretty sure that the first comment after my post came from you. It was impossible to read the scan without enlargement.:???: