Recruiting waggle dance?

Discussion in 'Beekeeping Biology' started by Versipelis, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Versipelis

Versipelis New Member

I've been told, that once a bee finds a source of nectar, they will continue to go to that source until death. If this is true, why would another bee perform the waggle dance? In other words, if a bee is already committed to a source of nectar, why would another bee try a recruit followers to another nectar source, since most of the foragers are committed?

2. Ray

Ray Member

Bees will work on a nectar source until it's depleted and then go to a different source. The waggle dance and recruitment is still being studied and IMO has created more questions than answers.

What causes a 'nectar collector' to move on to a different nectar source?
    Do they look for a new source or return to the hive and wait for a new assignment?
    Do some forages 'prefer' nectar or pollen or propolis?

3. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

I seem to have been taught that they commit to the source until its depletion, as well. That it turns out to be until death is a function of the relative short remaining life of the individual bee once it is "promoted" to forager, rather than blind devotion to a source.

I am always fascinated by the docs that have bees flying around with little gps transmitters.

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Ain't that the truth. with few robbers I've been open feeding a little syrup on nice days, have fondant on the hives for not nice ones. I have noted they carefully recheck all the feed containers for syrup every day, which lets me know if they are hungry and I respond by putting some out.