reflecting over the last year on this forum

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by riverrat, Jan 2, 2011.

1. riverrat

riverrat New Member

Been doing some thinking yea I bet you all heard the squeaky gears turning in my head :D Well I have come to the conclusion after being told for years it is hard for a beekeep to tear up a hive so bad that the bees cant fix it. I have determined we need to apply this same thinking to our giving advise. I know each and everyone of us have seen a post and thought about replying but didnt for fear of maybe giving bad advise. (I'm guilty as charged with this crime your honor.) My take is if we cant mess up a hive bad enough a bee cant fix it then why not say there is no such thing as bad advise in bee keeping that will mess up a hive so bad a bee cannot usually fix it. Its up to the person asking the advise to determine if it will work in there situation or they may take all 10 replies and put them together into one that doesnt reasemble any one reply but has bits and peices of each go apply what they have descidedto try and come back an let us know what did or did not work for them then we all win. Show me a person that dont like winning and I will show you where the undertaker is cus that ole boy done passed on. so with the new year I want to encourage and challenge each and everyone to step up to the plate swing the bat as if you was babe ruth and reply to them post you are thinking about but dont. Remember unlike some other forums we require all members to check there weapons at the door before entering so we cant shoot you and we all benifit so lets see it happen :beg:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

"Been doing some thinking yea I bet you all heard the squeaky gears turning in my head :D"

No, but I heard their were tornadoes in your area. I wondered what would cause them in mid-winter. Now i know. :wave:

A positive note to bad info posts is a few quick rebuttals from some who wouldn't have replied otherwise. So even bad advice can be reversed and made into a positive thread.

3. Hobie

Hobie New Member

If you are saying "Don't be afraid to post a reply, because your method may help someone," I wholeheartedly agree.

On the other hand, I personally try to avoid messing up the hive, despite the fact that the bees can generally fix my mess. A tornado could take my roof off, and I could get the damaged fixed, but I would much prefer that it just left me alone in the first place, avoiding the rather considerable trauma and expense. I try to approach my messing with the bees in the same manner. My experience with them is limited, so I take the stand that, if I have a question about doing something, the bees probably know better than I do what is best for them, so I err on the side of inaction.

But that's just me.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Your first paragraph is correct, Hobie. The rat is trying to get the shy to post. If they are right, great. If not, we can help them get it right. Either way, it's far better that they post then if they don't.

5. Hobie

Hobie New Member

Yes, definitely! I have heard absolutely ingenious "suggestions" from people who have little experience on whatever subject. The different point of view is invaluable. And the learning opportunity (for ALL of us, not just the poster) is moreso.

6. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Hobie, Lets say a tornado took your roof off,(hope it never happens) and someone told you that you would like a gable roof better. So you put a gable roof on,then decided the gable roof took more maintenance (due to more painting in high the place) and you really liked the looks of the hip roof better after all. Would you go to the expense of putting the hip roof back on or live with the gable roof. :confused: They both work,but we have to be carefui of our choices and the advice we take and give. :roll: Jack

PS.Sorry Hobie, it's cold outside and i'm bored,just thought i'd mess with your mind :lol:

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

But, Jack, if she discussed the advice with 300 friends, she would likely have chosen the roof she liked best to begin with.

8. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Oh, I thought this was a Thread to give people a chance to say what a great year 2010 was.

For me it was a pretty good year. Better bee wise than 2009. Pretty good personally too. Got a new building started and partly occupied. Kids and wife are all healthy. A second grandson on the way, if counting babys before they're born isn't bad luck or something. He should be here in March. Our oldest son, Charles, Sgt. Berninghausen that is, has paved the way for future amputees who wish to stay on active duty and have opportunities previously denied them. He was the first amputee to attend a Warrior Leadership Course and pass third in his class of 103. He's currently in training for a new position w/ Military Intelligence once he completes training and reinlists.

None of the set backs that 2010 threw our way were of great consequences. Maybe I have selective memory loss, who knows.

Have a sweet New Year.

9. Omie

Omie New Member

My bee year 2010 (two hives, still alive) was better than bee year 2009 (one hive, which died).
    I hope to learn much more and do even better in 2011. i hope to end 2011 with 3 or 4 active hives....and *maybe* finally some honey! (pretty please?)
    Also got one of my neighbors started with a hive- his is all set up and waiting for the bees next Spring. :)

10. rast

rast New Member

In my case, advice on beekeeping can be location sensitive. There is seldom that a week goes by that I can't open a hive in the winter if I need to. I saw pollen coming in on bees yesterday. My winter advice will rarely help someone with a foot of snow on their hives. If I can I will. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut.
    2010 was pretty good for me also. A whole lot better than 09.

11. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

I always appreciate it when you keep your mouth shut. Heh,heh. Sorry. Couldn't resist. I hope I don't get a warning for that. You did open the door.

Basic beekeeping can be almost universal. But I do agree that there are things that are particular to ones specific location. Always remember that free advice is often worth what you paid for it. And unwanted advice is worth even less.

12. rast

rast New Member

"I always appreciate it when you keep your mouth shut. Heh,heh. Sorry. Couldn't resist. I hope I don't get a warning for that. You did open the door." :lol: :lol:

Sounds just like my wife. :D

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I warn you, Rast will not be sending you oranges this summer if you keep that up.

Now you've gotten your warning.
    Rast,
    There's a lot more than winter care to talk about.
    When do drones start flying in Fla? We need to know when queens will be available. Location is no excuse. You know plenty, now post it.

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Let me start...

I rear a few queens here and hold a Texas Queen Breeder's license. According to past records almost like clockwork I will see my first drones here February 15. Bee biology informs me that two weeks later these drones will be sexually mature enough for mating. With good planning this means that about March 15 is the earliest I can raise queens here and have any hope they will be mated properly.

15. rast

rast New Member

My successful queen rearing is about the same as Tec's. Early ones are not as good as 1 month later due to drone populaton.
    The early ones are from well fed hives in Jan/Feb. I have become a believer in keeping syrup and patties on them til the first orange blossom opens. Patties start first of Feb.
    If you have to move your hives for a spring bloom, have them there and "de-stressed" at least a few weeks before the bloom. Throw that out the window if you are doing crop pollination, you don't want them going off and finding something else before the crop you are being paid for blooms. You want them to find that first.
    Red Maples haven't budded yet this year.

16. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Hey T, Mark here.

Larry Connors said, last year at the ABF Mtng, that one could start grafting queens when you start seeing your first drones. So wouldn't that put your date up by a week or two? Or are the quality of queens too poor w/ those early queens?

17. Murrell

Murrell New Member

The one objection I have about advice is location-location.

So many times you read about a person in say Maine, giving advice to someone in Florida, South Texas, Oregon or vice-a-versa.

What works for me in the mid-west may not work 500 miles away.

Anybody remember Sgt.Major ???

Ok, I be quiet.

Murrell

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yeah what ever happened to him :confused:

I WILL be quiet on that one ;)

19. sqkcrk

sqkcrk New Member

Solicited advice on forums such as this one should be considered w/ ones own locale in mind. If someone asks a question, of the forum members in general, they may or may not get info useful and pertinent to their location. If they don't want those from afar answering their questions they should say so.

Besides, free advice is worth what it costs. If you take it and it doesn't work for you, you are responsible. Not the advisor.

20. Iddee

Iddee New Member

That's exactly why we require a location when you join. So both parties can see where the other is. Then advice can be adjusted accordingly.