Refractometer question

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by beebuzzed, Jun 3, 2015.

1. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Is it ever necessary to use a refractometer on capped honey? I thought you just waited till a frame was fully capped and it would be ok to extract and bottle. Is there much more to the harvest than I understand? Or is it when you have uncapped honey when a refractometer is necessary?

2. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

IMO, capped is the bee seal of approval on a finished product.
    On a mixed frame with capped and uncapped, I will do a "shake test."
    A refractometer is beyond my means and imagination.

3. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Ok that's what I would think as well. If I end up getting enough to sell I dont want to distribute a bad batch. Thanks

4. camero7

camero7 Member

I extracted a lot of honey and sold it before I got a refractometer. I now have one but mostly for the uncapped frames to see how wet it is.

5. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

If held in humid conditions for too long (don't ask me how long that is) unbottled honey that came from sealed combs could absorb enough moisture to increase the honey's moisture content. A refractometer is a good item for a "last check" before bottlling such honey even though it came from sealed combs.

Once I had a customer who left a 3 kg can of honey unclosed for several weeks and then came to me complaining that the honey was fermenting. I replaced the honey and gave storage instructions with an explanation of what had happened.

6. beebuzzed

beebuzzed Member

Good example thank you