Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Typical W style truss, 2X4, 24' span using 2 12's @ the bottom. Bottom of the W is 8'. I am going to use it to lift 300 to 500 lbs. If I bolt another 2X4X8' across the bottom using 24" centers for the bolts (1/4" bolts should suffice, and not drilled in a parallel line), a piece of plywood cut to fit the top 4 of the W to tie them together better. Then 2 vertical 2X4's appx 24" apart on center of the truss. Outer ends of the truss would then be the weak link, I think.
Advise welcome!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Rast, I have almost the identical trusses but 28' span. I was looking for chainfall anchor to pull an engine. The approach I took was to spread the load across 3 or 4 of the trusses by sliding up 3 pieces of 2x10 scaffold planks and hanging chainfall from that. The weak link, as you have stated with beefing up a single truss, is the stress riser at the ends of the stiff spot you create. There is strength in numbers.

What old poacher does that spear belong to?

·
Registered
164 Posts
It just looks like frog gigging spear to me?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Naw, the frog gig has fish hooks and a fiberglass pole. That one is to just help get a gator over the side of an airboat.

frog gig

1 - 6 of 6 Posts