Reminder for rookies buying old wooden ware

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by ibeelearning, Apr 24, 2012.

1. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

Carry a tape when you go look at this stuff. Measure before you buy. Some of these old guys (of course that refers to no one on this forum) who built their own equipment may have drifted slightly from standard Langstrough measurements over the course of 40, 50, 60 years. Slightly is all it takes for, say, old frames not to fit newer supers.

OTOH, some adaptations are very cool... e.g., extra tall top covers with vents, built in frame spacers, wierd hangers. And now I know what a split frame bottom bar is. And this stuff has got to have good bee mojo.

(of course I would never come home with a bunch of old dusty junk that I have no immediate need for and would just have to store out of sight so the carport doesn't look like...)

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This advice is sound, not only for rookies, but also for some of the more "experienced" keeps that can't resist a "good deal" and end up getting burnt. :lol:

[​IMG]

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

drifted slightly huh????

well perhaps their measuring tapes just shrunk at the exact same time that their eyesight began to fail?

4. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

LOL... yep, but the old guy I bought from: they obviously worked for him. When I stacked his super on my brood box, it was mybe 3/8 of an inch longer, too! Oh, well... the bees like it fine.

The frames are beautifully wired. Everything is branded with his old bee number.

Some of this stuff is oak and built better than my house. It will still be good when I am half blind and stung numb crazy. When I noted a nest of red wasps inside an old super, he just reached in with his bare hand and waded it up. He said he was almost 80 and been beekeeping since he was 7... like his measurements, the ages may have drifted a bit, but I'd bet they were close enough. You gotta figure, what he knows: he didn't learn off the internet, out of a book, from an state ag extention class, or from a bee club in town.

I'll go back when I get some more money; I'll just take a tape measure and be a bit more careful.

5. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i liked your description "And this stuff has got to have good bee mojo."
    indeed it does, and "what he knows: he didn't learn off the internet, out of a book, from an state ag extention class, or from a bee club in town."

hey perry i want some of those:roll:!!!

6. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Do you want any of the little 880 pieces I made that have to be glued and bradded on to make shoulders to go with them? :lol:

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Ibeelearning..
    You gotta figure, what he knows: he didn't learn off the internet, out of a book, from an state ag extention class, or from a bee club in town.

tecumseh:
    at the very heart of things beekeeping is about practice. hopefully all here will know I am in no way marginalizing reading or learning via printed or pictures but applying what you learn here is really what bee keeping is all about.

having said that almost any old text establishes the dimensions of 'bee furniture' and typically variations in these dimensions are very common with folks that have very limited reading capabilities and limited wood working skills.

in the very old days (still applies somewhat I would guess???) often times these kinds of flaws could also be directly attributed to excessive alcohol consumption.

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tecumseh said:
    "at the very heart of things beekeeping is about practice. hopefully all here will know I am in no way marginalizing reading or learning via printed or pictures but applying what you learn here is really what bee keeping is all about."

well said.

Perry 880 PIECES?!:doh:

9. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

220 frames = 440 end bars, each requiring 2 shoulders = 880 pieces! :oops: :doh:

10. Iddee

Iddee New Member

End bars are too cheap for me to work that hard. If you figured it up, would you have made .25 per hour?

11. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hah Iddee, the jokes on you. I figure I made at least double that! :razz: :lol:

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You probably forgot to add in the assembly time. :D

13. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

...and another surprise. Another measurement to take when buying old wooden ware is the hive opening itself. I found out this week that these old hives would not accept a boardman feeder. I have frame feeders, but just wanted to give the new girls some peace their first week.