Removal questions

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Medic1259, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

I got a call for my first cut out. I have a few questions and need some advice. But first about the cut out.
    The hive has been there for more then a year.
    The house is a Semi- Attached 2 story.
    House.jpg
    The hive in on the left side and the right side has a home with a daycare.​

It is in a soffit about 10-12 feet off the ground. The soffit is vinyl siding against a brick façade. I was watching, and seeing aprox 10-20 bees coming and going a minute (@at 9am). They were going in over a 2 foot space between where the bricks meets the corner molding for the siding.

Bees going in.jpg
    Now for the questions…
    Is it likely that they just are on the soffit going along the house or are they up into the wall (under the A/C unit).
    Should I check the inside also (poke a hole in the sheetrock to see if anything)?
    What would be an easier approach inside or out side cutout.?
    What would be a fair price? Or what would you charge?

2. Zulu

Zulu Member

Not the expert that Iddee is, but an infrared thermometer will Show you if they are in behind the sheetrock. Hot spots will show through. If no insulation like in an old house , you might even be bale to feel it with the inside of your forearm.... ( think of testing babies milk temp)

As the soffit is vinyl, you should be able to remove a piece without much issue and "see" what is going on too.

Going rate around here starts at $300 with no repairs , explain the long termdamage if they leave it or try to kill the bees.
    Also if they spray at any time the price rises to $500 starting fee.

Hopefully others will add to or correct me.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would go inside of the house and use my infrared thermometer to look for heat differences, if you do not have one put your ear to the floor, bang on it and listen for the buzz. The buzz sound will change when you hit the floor, don't be fooled by the hum of a refrigerator or AC unit.

I would bet they are in one of two places.
    1. In the floor joist behind the brick wall, there would not be any insulation in this area.
    2. In the floor joist below the window where the AC unit is located.

I don't think they wold be in the stud wall itself, should be filled with insulation, but they could also be between the brick veneer and the sheeting on the stud wall, a very narrow space but very large in surface area.

First thing I would do is pull the vinyl soffit down and have a look, it wold be the quickest and easiest thing to open up and put back.

As far as doing it inside or outside, well that depends on where the bees are located at. Outside is nice, not as much to worry about as far as clean up and bees in the house, but hotter on you. Inside you have to worry about getting sticky honey in the carpet and bees in the house (although they will go to a window), but will be cooler on you.

Do you have a bee vac?

4. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

Thanks guys.. I am going to go check with an IR thermometer this week ( temp shoul be 96 for bees?)and use an old stethoscope to try to listen. I was reading another trick is to pop a wire hanger through the sheet rock to see if it comes out with honey or wax on it. I am going to see if I could get a buddy to come pop out the siding for me for a quick sec.

5. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

No but looks like I may have to make or buy one...

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

The coat hanger trick works wonders also, I use a welding rod that I made into a drill bit, think crude spade bit. It is very stiff and of good metal.

You know somebody with a FLIR gun??

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I think they are here..............

DSCN0304.JPG DSCN0305.JPG

There will likely be plywood covering the soffit under the vinyl.

If you take them out now, you will feed them until Dec. and they will starve in Feb. I would wait until March.

8. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

How do I get the home owner to wait till March? I know they have waited a year already..lol

G3 Whats a FLIR Gun?

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

By pricing it a hundred dollars more to do now than in the spring, to cover sugar cost.

10. Medic1259

Medic1259 New Member

WOW.. I never even would have factored in the cost of sugar to over winter them.

How far back did that hive go?

11. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You can see the whole hive. 2 sections complete and starting on the third.

50 lbs. of sugar, and the time and expense of heating and mixing it, plus time and trouble feeding. Then they die just before winter is over. It's well worth another hundred, but hope they wait.

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

13. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

I'm saying they are in the soffit, but let us know.