Removing bees from honey super

Discussion in 'Products of the Hive' started by ApisBees, Jun 30, 2013.

1. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

when there is a good flow on removing the bees is as easy as standing the super on end and the bees will leave on their own. in a couple of hours their was only 10 bees left. You have to make sure there is no brood because the bees will not abandon any brood.
    IMG321.jpg
    It has been wet and colder than normal this spring and the bee foraging time has been limited some what but the girls have managed to bring in a surplus, and clog the brood chamber. I should have added a super a week ago. I added a super and pulled 5 frames of honey out of the brood chamber and replaced them with drawn comb to give the queen a place to lay.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I've got some brood chambers plugging up as well. I think I may have lost a few swarms so far this year. Crappy weather has prevented me from inspecting as often as I'd like.

Hey Keith, wanna borrow my lawnmower? :lol:

3. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Just finished cutting the grass didn't want to get grass clippings in the honey super so stayed back a bit Last time ran the lawn mower over the front of the bottom board. So much rain this year that the grass on the hills are still green most years the grass comes up brown. Haven't watered anything yet. Grass is growing 6" a week. Need to trade lawn mower for a swatter and baler.