removing bees of the honey super b4 bringing them in honey house

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by adamant, May 10, 2012.

1. adamant

adamant Member

I seen someone use a handheld blower to blow off the bees and place them in the truck to be brought back to the honey house.

What's your way of removing the bees?

2. Walt B

Walt B New Member

I use Fischer's Bee Quick.

Walt

3. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

bee escape, I have used them for years, passive way, with in 30 hours all bees are out and you simply remove the now bee free super, remove the inner cover add next super, remove bee escape--replace inner cover---done

4. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

I have been brushing and shaking. Gonna have to try that bee escape thingy Barry talks about in the post above. :wink:

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use bee escapes as well. Requires an extra trip but less disturbance to the colony (and the keep) :lol:

6. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

while I have been told brushing and shaking doesn't overly irritate the bees, those that I have observed, the opposite seems true, several of the girls are interested in showing you the way out lol. Ohh additionally--if you add the " wet " super back on top of the fresh super you already added your bees will clean out the fitrst one and maybe refill both:razz:
    Barry

7. Barbarian

Barbarian New Member

Never used chemical clearer. Never used Porter escapes.

Have used and still use a variety of clearer boards ---- there is a trick to using them --- place a super of empty drawn comb or foundation under the clearer for the bees to move down into.

I got fed up of lifting heavy supers off a hive to add the clearer board etc. then lifting the heavy supers back on above the board and finally lifting the cleared supers off the hive.

I now use a system involving a stack of supers and clearer boards off hive. Less lifting, less hive disturbance and moderately successful.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I use Fischer's Bee Quick.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

of course often the forgotten approach is a bee brush and an extra box. likely works just fine if you don't have a lot of honey to remove.

in the long distant past I have used blowers and bee go but currently use bee quick.

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

I use the "Quebec style bee escapes", not the porter type. I have heard bees can get stuck and plug the escape on those.
    (no idea why these are called Quebec style, unless they were invented up here) :confused:

[​IMG]

11. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

never had issues with porter bee escape, and results are always the same the only caveat is if you have allowed the queen up into your supers, with brood the bees will never leave.
    Barry

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

i use fischers bee quick, and once sprayed on the pad, i hit the top of the box(metal) with a propane torch to heat it up quickly. usually have many supers to remove at a time and this aids in moving the bees quickly.

barry said:
    "the only caveat is if you have allowed the queen up into your supers, with brood the bees will never leave."

this is where a queen excluder comes in handy, if it is the 1st super. make sure your queen is not in that box, place the q/e underneath. the bees will take care of the brood, and when all is hatched out, the bees polish and clean the cells and convert it back for nectar storage.

13. ibeelearning

ibeelearning Member

For small, cheapskate, backyard hobbiest, like me, the little plastic bee escapes are working well. I could see how someone with lots of hives or a far drive would like the chemo approach, though.

14. Tia

Tia New Member

I check for brood in the supers before I even begin to think about taking them. If the box is free of brood, I use the fume board for about 3 minutes. I have an upside down triangle escape waiting in my wagon with another escape waiting to be put on top. After 3 minutes, I remove the box and put it in the wagon on the upside down escape and place the other escape on top. I then repeat the process with the remaining boxes. After I've collected all the boxes, I take the wagon to the honey house, tape the boxes together so no bees can get in and leave them outside the door overnight so that any lingerers can go home. In the morning, armed with my indoor/outdoor vac set on "blow," I remove the tape and the top escape, tilt the box on end and blow out any stubborn girls who bedded down for the night. Once the box is free of bees, I move it into the honey house, go back and start with the next one. Works for me.

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I read this thread this morning and was considering ordering some escapes. Then I went into the hives today. I had to go into the brood box and get a frame of brood to add to the split I did recently. When I picked up the 10-frame super of honey, I said, "Umph! It's heavy." I'm hoping the 8-frame hive will be a little lighter. But, to get back to the point, the way I understand it, when you get ready to harvest the honey, you have to remove the honey supers and put the escape on, then replace the honey supers over the escape. Is that right? That sounds like a lot of work to me!

Am I looking at the correctly?

16. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If you consider lifting a 60 lb. weight, sitting it aside, then putting it back as a lot of work, then I guess it is.

If you consider it 2 minutes work for a hundred dollars plus of honey, then it's not much at all.

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

This is correct, an extra trip around the yard is required. But the bonus is when you go back to pick up your supers 24 to 48 hours later, they are free of bees. Just pick up and go.
    Different strokes I guess. I like using them.

18. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

slow modem, yes you are looking at this correctly. depends on what you have going and what works for you. escapes are not practical for me, as i will have multiple supers on, and escapes would not make my work go quickly. i would be creating more work for myself.

iddee, for a lady keep in the 'senior' years lifting up to 7 supers on a hive and setting them aside, on many different hives to place an escape on, vs 1 or 2 supers is a different story. you gents have to remember, us girlies do not have the 'pipes', whether younger or older.:grin:

anyway, i like the less work option:lol:

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I'll ponder this some more. :)

20. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

riverbee said: "You gents have to remember, us girlies do not have the 'pipes', whether younger or older."

Then why are we gents so afraid of making you 'girlies' mad? :lol: