Beekeeping Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve scrolled thru here and couldn’t find anything on this. Probably missed it. Anyway, I’m in the yard when one of the hives begins swarming. Bees just rolling out!! I put my jacket on and kneel down at the entrance and spot the queen on the ground so I pick her up and cage her. Not sure what to do, I opened the top and set her caged in the opening of the inner cover. In less than an hour, all the bees went back in the hive. Several hours later they wanted to swarm again but the queen was still caged and no virgin queen has was yet in the hive. This time I took the caged queen away and placed in a nuc. I continued watching the swarm and this time they took nearly 2 hrs to all return to the hive. The 2 deeps are packed and I’m about ready to add a 4th super. I removed all the queen cells except the 2 largest I could find. Will this hive swarm as soon as one of the queen emerges or is this a good way to prevent swarming during a good honey flow. Seems to be working so far. My apologies for being lengthy but does anyone have any thoughts on this or what I should look out for? Is this just an outright wrong tactic? On another swarm that made it to a tree, I was in the process of catching these when I again spotted my marked queen. I took her to a hive about 12 miles away to a new hive that was not yet queenright. The ball of bees on the tree branch were put back in the hive they swarmed from and they stayed. Once again I went into this hive and removed all the capped queen cells except 2. I’d always wondered what a swarm would do if they lost there queen right out the gate. Now, I think I might know.

·
Super Moderator
3,569 Posts
It's slowing things down, but I'd do a split to reduce crowding, put their queen in a hive and move about half the bees.
I have had a swarm take off with a queen I'd clipped a wing on. I found them in the grass around her. I put her back in her hive and there they stayed for the rest of the year without swarming. I think I did add a box for space

1 - 2 of 2 Posts