Requeen the cut-out

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

had a idea just dont know if its a good 1, the new hive from the tree does not have a queen but they are building a few cells, I was thinking about putting in a frame of brood from the Buckfast hive but i started wondering that since the buckfast hive was strong and better set to make a new queen is it possible to grab the buckfast queen with the queen clip and ad her to the new cut-out hive? leave her in the clip for a few days.

This way Ive requeened the new hive with a good line of bees cause I dont know whats in the hive now.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

From what I saw of the tree, I would rather have those genetics.

To each his own.

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I am with Iddee. If they produced a nice cell I would certainly give them a chance. Two blood lines are better than one.

4. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

well, Im more worried about SHBs, the tree hive does not seem very aggressive dealing with them, I saw 1 land at the entrance and they did nothing to it but the other 2 hives I have would have jumped it the second it touched down

5. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

after thinking about what you guys posted Ive changed my mind, now that the hives in my area the queens should mate with drones from my hives and get maybe some of both genetics that way. I think Im gonna cut the cells out and leave 1 in for the hive and set a few nucs up for the others, I wanna have extra in case I loose 1 :D

6. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Wait until they have been capped for about 3 days before disturbing. Then I recommend leaving 2 and using 2 in each nuc.

Just insurance.

7. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

Again.. what Iddee said.