Requeening

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Derek, Apr 8, 2010.

1. Derek

Derek New Member

I have a queen coming in tomorrow. Going to requeen a a hive that is hotter than I like to work. I haven't had to requeen like this before. (Pinch and requeen)

So I am going to pinch to the hot one at noonish tomorrow. I have read to wait a few hours to overnight to requeen. I get that. If I go back at 5 to requeen do you do an open release or mount the cage with the cork out and let them eat the candy and release her? I'm guessing she is coming in a queen standard cage with the candy.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Just pull the cork and let them eat the candy out. This gives the hive time to get use to the new queens smell.

G3

3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper New Member

YUP what he said.

:mrgreen: Al

4. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Like Al and 3G said, i like to spray the inside of the hive with sugar water mixed with HBH or vanilla extract, when i introduce the queen in a hot hive. It sometimes takes their mind off wanting to kill you and gives everyone the same smell. :thumbsup: Jack

5. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Also be sure to place the queen cage long ways or with the opening pointing in the upward direction. Reason being is if the exit hole is pointing down and some of the attendents die they could possibily block the hole enough so that the queen can not make her grand entrance.

G3

6. Derek

Derek New Member

Sounds like a plan to me. Thanks!

7. wfuavenger

wfuavenger New Member

You might not want to pinch her yet. If you have a nuc or somewhere to place a frame with her on it I would do that for 24-48 hours. If the new queen dies or is never accepted and you pinched your original, your are SOL.... until you can get a new one.