Researchers Develop Bee Sperm Bank in Hopes of Creating a Super Bee

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Lburou, Jun 11, 2013.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

Looks like we may get some more diverse genes in our gene pool! Approved in 2008, am I the last to hear of this? Is this where some of the genetic material came from for the New World Carniolan? :)

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I got to meet Sue Colby earlier this year at the Texas A&M Bee Research Lab.

a Lee snip...
    Is this where some of the genetic material came from for the New World Carniolan?

tecumseh...
    Sue Colby is pretty much the person responsible for developing the New World Carniolan... which is pretty much a rediscovered breed chosen from stock that highly reflects a list of traits associated with the original Carniolan breed of bees. It is my understanding that she now has a permit to import Carniolan and Caucasian stock from Europe (Eastern Europe I would guess).

as far as I can recall from my reading Sue Colby is also the person long ago that introduced the Cloake system of rearing queen cells (I can't remember now whether Mr Cloake was a New Zealand or a Australian beekeeper).

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

Thanks tec :)

I posted this because of all the talk about the 'limited' or 'narrow' gene pool in the USA. I suppose the USDA bee Labs import genes as well -that would mean any 'hygienic' bee line using 'hygienic' genes from the USDA Labs for varroa mite control actually have an infusion of new genes, right? :)

4. Lburou

Lburou Member

It was from 'down under' for sure. I read Harry Cloake is from New Zealand.

P.S. I ran into this video about the program:

[video=youtube;Lm2kibnKYnU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Lm2kibnKYnU[/video]

5. Ray

Ray Member

Thank you, Sue Colby! NWC [​IMG]
    ​That said: IMO, assisting genetic diversity by collecting semen is like, putting a band-aid on a broken arm.
    IMO. One of the bigger causes of the shrinking gene pool, is Artificial Insemination. Breeders produce thousands of genetically identical queens
    and Keeps buy them in large quantities to improve their production, the result - minimizing the gene pool.

Mother Nature removes the least viable, of a specie, and leaves the vast majority to reproduce.