reusing drawn comb

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by reidi_tim, Apr 11, 2013.

1. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

So ?'s
    1. Do I have to completely remove all the dead bees from the comb? I have slammed them down ( to the point the comb fell out of 1 ), brushed them and it seems the only way to get all those small bodies out is 1 at a time, ( which made me wonder why there where so many young bees in my dead outs )

2. What is the best way to fix the comb that is built outside the frame or was comb from the cut out that is skewed?
    frame 1.jpg frame 2.jpg frame 3.jpg
    3. I have frames that are in all stages of being drawn from 100% on both sides to 50% on one side and just started on the other side. What and when will these frames be best used ? ( I have 4 packages coming in a few weeks and my nuc needs more room so if the weather stays good I will move them to a ten frame this weekend)

4. There are frames that have capped and almost capped tombs what if any thing do these need ( would hate to put these in with a package only to have a worker bee go running to the queen:queen: : I can already see it with my luck.. Your highness we have found the remains of an ancient culture up on sector 7, and according to the Beegeva council we will have to report and document every thing before we can clear it out,:rules: that is only after we have it inspected and everything approved and in triplicate. So then they have to decide either stay and clear it out in the cover of darkness,:wave: go thru all the red tape:write:, or just decide it's not worth the effort and bail.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

My opinion?
    Pic #1 and #2, cull, cut out the wax and put in new foundation.
    Pic #3 looks OK.
    As for comb with dead bees in them, don't worry. Shake out what you can (without losing the comb) :lol: and the bees will do the rest.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

You worry too much. Bees are rednecks. Hey, bubba, throw out those old carcasses and quit eating them. The boss done gave us a bunch of sweets. Let's make a place to store them.

I would use the 3 in the pics as outside frames in the 10 frame boxes and decide if I wanted to cull them after the hive is established.

4. bamabww

bamabww Active Member

I'd put them in a freezer for 3 days and then use all three of them as is. I'd probably separate them if possible and place them in different boxes.

5. reidi_tim

reidi_tim New Member

Ok, that is three of the 60 deep frames so there is still another 57 frames in different stages of being drawn out. I would say that 85% of the frames are drawn, most look like bees did it by the book but there are other frames that have some of these issues. So cull the wax remove all of it or just the parts that are sloppy?

6. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Throw in freezer, throw in boxes, let bees do the rest. But thank you for the only laugh I've had today:
    "Your highness we have found the remains of an ancient culture up on sector 7, and according to the Beegeva council we will have to report and document every thing before we can clear it out,:rules: that is only after we have it inspected and everything approved and in triplicate. So then they have to decide either stay and clear it out in the cover of darkness,:wave: go thru all the red tape:write:, or just decide it's not worth the effort and bail."

7. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

tim,
    sometimes the bees get it right, sometimes they don't on drawing wax. i wouldn't cull it or remove it all, try iddee's suggestion, or what wayne said.... or if it really bugs you, just cut or scrape enough off the very top to make it even, so it's not lopsided and quirky. if you ask me, it's not that bad, but i use 9 frames in a deep, not 10.
    as far as removing all the bodies, you have a lot of time to kill and a pair of tweeers?.....:lol:
    otherwise, like perry said, just lightly tap the frame without throwing the comb out, the girls will remove the bodies quicker than we can.

8. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

I have had bees clean up moth destroyed comb. I mea chew it down to foundation ( which is fine foundation is the most resource expensive item they have to build due to how much thicker then cell walls.) If your unhappy with distorted comb scrape it down to the foundation they will rebuild it.
    Barry

9. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

I asked the same question about one frame that was all messed up. Iddee said use it. The more I thought about it I have come to the conclusion my new hive will either use it or rebuild it. If they don't use it then ill remove it. As for getting bees out of the cells. My one deadout I tapped the top bar on a solid workbench but soften the blow with a towel. Most came out. If I could grab them I did and the ones that did not budge will leave it up to the bees to take out the trash.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

If you put in a hive the bees will use it. What they use it for is the larger question? if it is drone size cells and in the brood chamber it will get layed with drone brood and if you are culling drone brood as mite control it is a good IPM strategy. If not put it up top and let the bees use it to store nectar.