reverse engineering

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by G3farms, May 2, 2013.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes yes we all talk of the slow workings of the "trap out"...........so lets do a "trap in" :wink:.

[video=youtube;y8fThii4dJc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8fThii4dJc[/video]

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

What's with the "flap" on the side G3? Would that confuse the bees into trying to enter there instead of through the cone?
    Very ingenious idea!

Slice of Pie for George, treading where no one has tread before! :thumbsup:

pie G3.jpeg

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

Good video G3.You could also add eggs and have another colony.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Perry there are actually two flaps, one on each side, these have screen wire over the holes for ventilation.

Good catch on that! The next revision will be the two flaps on either side, and they will both have a cone in place.

JB I just added a deep box with some drawn comb and had another hive, there will be eggs with in the week.

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I guess it might be a good idea if I knew what was going on. How about a little explaining for those of us that don't have sound on the computers.

6. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I am going to send you some speakers one of these days Iddee, :grin:. George, great idea!

7. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Well Iddee, went on a swarm call, bees about 20 foot up in a tree and the man of the house was very allergic to bees (yes epi pen allergic), his wife was very curious about the bees but just wanted them gone. Used a bucket on a stick while standing in the back of the truck to get them. Dumped into a cardboard box that I had taped up with two flaps on either side that has screen wire on them for ventilation. Left the boxed swarm there and told them I would be back after work in a couple of hours to pick them up and most of the bees would be in the box by then. After returning to pick them up there were still several bees flying around and orienting to the box so I came up with the idea of putting a trap out cone pointing to the inside of the box. Closed up the entrance i had made for them and soon enough they were going to the "trap in" cone and being caught inside of the box. After about 30-45 minutes the bees flying around outside had diminished significantly. To me it worked like a charm :thumbsup:

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

That's George, thinking outside the box.........................Wait a minute, that would be inside the box...................Wait, No, that would be?????? :dontknow: :lol:

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Good deal. THANKS.

Blueblood, it's not speakers I need, it's receivers. Can you send me a new set of ears?

10. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Curious Iddee, were you around a lot of noise in your career? I have very minor hearing loss in my right ear as a result of driving a gravel truck with a screaming jimmy.

11. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

An old joke: "Fellow goes to the doctor and tells him his hearing is so bad that he can't hear himself fart. Doctor writes him a prescription. Fellow asked doc, will this medication improve my hearing. Doc says no, but it will make you fart louder."

I have tinnitus so bad, that I sometimes wonder if the people around me can hear the ringing in my ears. The annual trip to the doc's office for my annual DOT health exam are creating some anxiety, as I worry each year that my hearing will not allow me to back to my work place. My corrected hearing is very poor in the mid ranges of hearing. In the old days the US Army did not provide any hearing protection and neither did the oil patch. It's troublesome, but all in all I've had a good ride so the hearing is just a glitch.

Hey Iddee, go price a set of hearing aids. That might improve your hearing. :)

The video and the magic card board box are inspirational and display a lot of common sense. Unfortunately, common sense in on the wane in our country. Good thinking on great engineering remedy.

12. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The 8 inch guns I sat next to in "nam probably didn't help any. I stood within a few feet of them when they were fired, without ear plugs. They would shake the ground a mile away.

Also drove a mac diesel without a muffler for awhile in Ms. in the80's.

Worked in a weave room as a teenager where you could shout in a person's ear and they "may" hear you.
    Along with a few other goodies along the way.
    My wife can listen to the TV in the same room and I have to ask if it's muted or not.

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Lazy, hearing aids, $8,000.00.
    Helps with voices spoken direct to me, but if the person is facing the other way, forget it. Also cannot hear electronic speech. My wife can listen to both sides of the conversation when I'm on the phone. "No speaker phone, just have it turned up that loud".

14. lazy shooter

lazy shooter New Member

G3 has added to our colloquial bee vocabulary. How about the term "trap in." We need to send this guy a plaque.

Iddee: My worst case hearing scenario is in a restaurant or other social gathering where this is a loud conversational background. In such a case, my hearing is done.