Reversing hive bodies

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Sep 3, 2010.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

I am going to get into my bees tomorrow - should I reverse the hive bodies if I find the broodnest mostly in the top one? I have never reversed in fall???

And I have a feeder out = 100 ft + away from the hives, but I just mixed it 1:1 - I am thinking I should have mixed 2:1??

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

at your location 1 to 1 should work 12 months out of the year.

if the bottom box was empty I would move everything downward... brood at the bottom of the stack and honey above that. at this time of the year this is more about the beekeeper that the bees since I suspect in regards to feral bees no one reverses anything. for the beekeeper this winter configuration doesn't lull you into thinking there is something there for the bees to consume when it is absolutely empty. and once the empty space is known whether feeding is essential becomes a much more obvious question. here this unguarded space can also become a prime target for wax moth.

at one time reversing was a once a year task. now I think 2X per year is a bit more advisable.

3. riverrat

riverrat New Member

arkie shame on you that is a loaded question :D Some reverse hive bodies and some dont. I fall into the dont end of the deal. I myself give the bees credit of them making the decision on whats right in a hive. With that said I let them do there thing when it comes to hive bodies I dont like to create extra work for the girls. Think about it I havent seen anyone reverse a hive in the wild and they manage just fine. I know Im opening up a debate with this thinking but what better way to learn a new idea :thumbsup:

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If the bottom hive is empty, take it off. They don't need that much space when there is no flow.

If there is a flow, the bees will move the broodnest down as the nectar comes in. There's no need to move the box.

5. rast

rast New Member

IDDEE "If the bottom hive is empty, take it off. They don't need that much space when there is no flow."
    That's what I am now doing, I hate empty space in a hive cause moths and SHB love it.