reversing med hive bodies

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by MelissaA, Mar 28, 2010.

1. MelissaA

MelissaA New Member

If you are running three med supers as hive bodies, what is the proper way to reverse?
    Melissa A

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

I don't know about proper, but if the queen is in the top one and is over crowded with brood and stores, i put the top one on the bottom. the middle one will probably have some brood and hatching brood with some open frames, so i leave it. The bottom one i put on top.It more than likely will be empty and will give the queen more room to lay when she moves up. That's just the way i do, maybe someone else has a better idea. Jack

3. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I think what Jack describes is (from what I can remember) a pretty classical 'Steve Taber' description of a proper spring time box reversal.

here in the individual boxes I sometime look for any SOLID frames of pollen that might impede the brood nest expansion in the lower (for you lowest two) hive bodies (once the boxes are reversed). this translates to moving these frames to the very outside position in the hive body.

4. Iddee

Iddee New Member

If there is brood in one, I would put it on bottom. If brood in two, keep them in order, with the third on top. If brood in three, don't reverse. Moving the pollen and capped honey frames, per Tecumseh, can and should still be done.