Rhododendrons... Good? Bad?

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Guba, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Guba

Guba New Member

I did a search here on this subject and didn't come up with any answers. So....

I read an article in a news paper that rhododendron honey can give stomach cramps and make people sick. How true is this? I have two rhododendrons on my property, is that enough to influence the honey for the bad?

I wish I had cut out the article now, so I could descibe it better. :(

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Rhodes in America are safe. Some Rhodes in Europe are said to be toxic to bees and honey.

3. G3farms

G3farms New Member

At a honey tasting we were given the oppertunity to taste rhododendron honey, nobody got sick, and seems to me if I rememberright it had a kind of bitter taste to my taster.

4. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

It all depends on the % of the honey that comes from Rhody nectar and how much of it you eat... as well as how sensitive your digestive tract is. Somebody with iritible bowel syndrome is more likely to get sick than someone with a strong stomache. Honey that is 100% Rhody nectar is more likely to make you sick than honey that is 25% Rhody nectar. If you eat a full pound of Rhody honey in one sitting you're more likely to get sick than if you eat a tablespoon.

It has the potential to make people sick, but getting sick from it is rare... and to the best of my knowledge has never been fatal to anyone.

5. Guba

Guba New Member

Thanks for the replies, sounds like I won't have anything to wory about. :thumbsup:

6. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

7. Greenb3tree

Greenb3tree New Member

I wouldn't worry about 2 Rhododendron bushes. Not enough to influence the honey.

JC