Road Trip!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by PerryBee, Mar 6, 2011.

1. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Just finished an interesting road trip.
    I attended our Provincial Bee Associations AGM this weekend and finally met "afss" that I have been in contact with for a while via the forums (here as well). We planned a trip to the next province to look at some extracting gear being sold. The sellor had told us the stuff was under about 5 feet of snow and probably wouldn't be able to get it out. We decided since we were within a couple hours drive we would check it out.
    Now some folks are known to tend to exagerate a little but we brought along a couple shovels in case.
    Here is what we found! :shock: No exageration, the roof on one of his buildings had already collapsed!

[​IMG]
    Good thing we brought shovels

[​IMG]
    "afss", the snow was about level with his head when we started (he's probably 6'3" or close to it)

[​IMG]
    me, after finding the uncapping tray
    We used a kids sled to slide it all out once we got it up and on top of the snow.

Had a great time.
    Thanks Scott, and thanks to you and your lovely wife for putting me up overnight (and feeding me)
    My wife is still laughing over the pictures :mrgreen:

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sorry, Boss, but that equip. would still be there if this redneck had to get it out. I just don't do that kind of cold and snow.

Hope you got a good deal.

3. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Now that is determination! I hope all that exercise was worth the effort.
    Thanks for sharing. We "thought" we got a lot of snow this winter. Those pictures are humbling.

4. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

For the magical price of free I would have shoveled and rebuilt the roof... any thing more than that I would have waited for melt off

5. Murrell

Murrell New Member

BURRRRRRR

Those pictures sure make Florida look good this time of year !

Murrell

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks like you guys had your work cut out for ya. Hope you got a good deal on it also.

How long did it take to shovel all of that snow out of the way? :lol:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Awwww c'mon you guys, no sense of adventure? ;)
    If you wait till spring, anybody could go and get it. Too easy! :lol:
    G3- Surprisingly not long. There and gone in less than an hour.
    I'll always have at least one more adventure left in me, at least till the day I'm pushin daisies! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

8. Murrell

Murrell New Member

I have a question or two;
    With that much snow, how are the roads ?

Any one use or know how to put on chains anymore ?

I still have a set of chains, just don't use them any more, if I need them, I stay home.
    Tho I do miss studded tires.

Murrell

9. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Charmed2 and Murrell, don't get to cocky,remember the 30 in. snow that the Farmers Almanac said for Mo. in March :cry: Keep them snow shovels and tire chains handy :roll: Jack

10. charmd2

charmd2 New Member

Shhhhhh.. no more snow.. my car throws chains. Not pretty.

11. afss

afss New Member

roads are/were fine.. they do get plowed and actually plowed well. they had them benched and pushed back exceptionally well, i would estimate that snow banks along the roads were anywhere from 6 feet up to almost 12 feet high in places. It actually was very easy light fluffy snow that we had to dig through and really in about 10 minutes of work we had both items exposed and drug out, the rest of the time was shooting the breeze and talking about how bloody much snow there was.

if we left it till snow melt others may have gotten the gear, was happy to put that small amount of effort out.

had a great time too perry. looking forward to the next road trip. thinking maybe an order from the states and a run to the border to pick it up. i'll email later

12. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perrybee, that looks like the Kelly capping tub that i have, was the bottom strainer and top strainer with it,and the wood crossbar with a nail sticking up in the center. I wouldn't part with mine,but probably not go to the trouble you did to get it. Now that i'm older and smarter i Hate Snow. Jack

13. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Jack:

Thanks for the tip, I wondered who made it cause I've not seen anything like it. It's round on the sides and bottom. No stickers or any identification on it and no bottom or top strainer either, just a drain at one end. The only snag is it seems to be a bit narrow near the ends. It should hold 20 or 21 frames but it seems to get too tight near the ends of the tank (last 6 inches). I've got it apart cause for some strange reason the drain was at the high end. I'm switching the legs at either end to correct that problem and will see what I can do to "widen" the ends so the frames don't get squeezed.
    All in all it was a fun trip and I'm happy, (got an uncapping plane as well).

Hey Scott, another road trip? Twist my arm! :mrgreen:

14. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

by the grin on you two fellows faces it appears you are enjoying yourselves way too much.

looks like a real adventure.

15. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Perrybee, my kelly capping tub is a rectangle and has straight sides and a flat bottom, the stand (home made) has legs higher on one end than the other so the drain hole in the lower end of the tub will drain.After extracting three or four med. supers, i let it set overnight and will usually drain a gallon or so honey out of the tub. Mine (bought used) had a metal tag on the side that said Kellys, the top strainer was missing and i called kelly co., they let me talk to their shop forman,he said i know what you have and i'll make you one. Got it the following week. :thumbsup: Jack

16. Murrell

Murrell New Member

After reading these I went back and looked at the pictures again.

Remember the " modern " galvanized wash tubs with legs ?
    Looked just like that, last one I saw was in a Cracker Barrel restruant full of things for sale.

Murrell

17. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Anybody have an idea who would have made these? :confused:
    I have the legs off but took a couple quick pictures anyway. It seems to me to be an uncapping tank/tray but maybe I'm wrong. It is not galvanized, for sure it's stainless steel. Aside from the ends being ever so slightly narrow, it's perfect. I am going to try to figure out how to slightly widen both ends (maybe 1/4 of an inch).

[​IMG][​IMG]

Thanks for any help.

18. Murrell

Murrell New Member

That's a nice looking piece of equiptment, it could have been made to be used for most any thing.
    The two ways I would consider, raising the sides or building a rest in about center
    and placing frames length wise, decapping of the other end.

I know, go to the back of the bus !

Murrell

19. Mama Beek

Mama Beek New Member

that is some serious snow!! I don't think I could handle that at all, for anything... just WOW!

20. ApisBees

ApisBees New Member

I've seen one of those tanks out at my wife's cousins dairy farm in the scrap iron pile with the stand also with one leg broken off. That tank started its life as a wash tub in a milking parlor in a dairy barn the width is just to narrow for a frame. to fit. You could probably expand the tub at the ends by using a h[FONT=&quot]ydraulic[/FONT] bottle jack with the base 1/2" from the end on one side and a block of wood from the top of the jack to the other side 1/2" from the end also once you have some pressure on the jack use a bar clamp across the middle and use a block of wood and a large hammer and smack the corners near the jack in, on a 45 degree angle. Repeat for the other end. It should bend and conform you mat need some help to hold it steady. If you don't have a jack you could cut a pieces of 2X4 slightly longer and wedge it in 1/2" from the end. I like that idea better 2 pieces of 2x4 across them cut 2 to fit between the cross 2X4 at the each end to hold them apart, place a bar clamp or 2 across the drum and hit the corners with a block of wood and a large hammer