Road Trip!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Slowmodem, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

It's been raining and will rain all night. So, seeing as how it's too wet to do anything tomorrow, my wife and I are going to take a road trip.

I was on another thread about bee suits somebody mentioned Pigeon Mountain Trading Company had bee suits for less. I went to their web site and it looks like they have an interesting setup with a general store and all kinds of stuff. It's just 1.5 hours from here, so it will make a good day trip.

I've never been to a bee store before, so I don't know what to expect. I hope they have some good stuff to look at and maybe try on. It will be a nice drive anyway.

2. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Sounds like a lot of fun!! Hope you have a great trip.
    I get their catalog and newletter. They sell A LOT more than just beekeeping supplies. Looks like a really neat place! Let us know what it was like...

http://www.pigeonmountaintrading.com/2-Default.aspx

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Two tips:

# 1 - Use cash, so your wife won't have any kind of electronic reminder of what you spend.
    # 2 - Get her to try on a suit first, and tell her she looks good in it. (you will be leaving with two suits that way) As an added thought, tell her she should really accesorize it too! :wink:

Have fun! :thumbsup:

4. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

Made it!

We got down to Pigeon River Trading Company General Store today. We had a fun day exploring and shopping and stuff. It rained this morning, but had cleared up by noon, so it was a cool, partly-cloudy day.It took us about an hour and a half to get down to Lafayette (la FAY ette) GA. The directions were really clear and it was really easy to find.

storefront.jpg

It looks like any small town hardware feed/seed store and it is. Except most of it inside is extractors, frames, hive boxes, bee suits, observation hives, and other misc. bee stuff. There's hives in the back of the store. I don't think they have their entire internet catalog inventory in the store. There were several other buildings on the block that had their logo on it where I'm sure they store a lot of stuff. You can buy onions, potatoes, etc., for your garden there, too, and overalls, washboards, wood stoves, all kinds of general store stuff.

bee suits.jpg

I bought a ventilated bee suit. They didn't have my size, so when I asked, they went to another warehouse and looked around and found one for me. The lady behind the counter was answering the phone advising people about bees. It sounded like some guy had bees bearding on front of his hive already and she was advising him about that. So they're really knowledgable bee folks there. I was impressed. It's a friendly place. There's a good video on their home page done by a Chattanooga TV station news department about the store that shows different aspects of it, too.

observation hives.jpg

They had some observation hives there in the store and one had bees in it. I had never seen one in person before and these were quite unique. They are totally enclosed, and have an entrance feeder built in at the bottom. They spin on a lazy-susan type deal so you can see both sides.I may go back this fall and buy some overalls there. They sell Pointer Brand overalls still made in the USA (even Liberty overalls are made in China now.)

5. jb63

jb63 New Member

Good call Perry on the cash sales.We have a good bee store here and I take it for grantit that they arn't every where like Mc Donalds.

6. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

Glad you guys had a good trip. Sounds like the weather even cooperated too! If I remember correctly, they sell cypress woodenware (boxes, bottom boards, etc.) very reasonably priced, at least for cypress anyway.

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Nice store, thanks for the pics. :thumbsup:

8. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I got to try my bee suit on yesterday. People are right, you can feel the breeze throught them. However, it's heavier than I thought it would be (about 10 lbs maybe?). But I didn't get stung going into the hive.

I have decided that I like the round veil better than the fencing veil. And it turns out that the bee suit is made in India, not the US. But it works well.

vent suit.jpg

9. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Thanks for taking us along on your road trip, it is nice to see other places and suppliers :thumbsup:

10. T.J.

T.J. New Member

Slowmodem : thanks for the report.like you i just heard about them the other day.i went to their website & signed up for a catalog.i had no idea there was a supplier that close to me.i too see a road trip in my future.

11. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

They're real nice folks and they're bee people, so they understand. :)

Although it really surprised them when I told them a guy in Vermont told me I should buy a bee suit. :D