Roadside stand

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by Zookeep, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

went to deal with the local then state govt to see what I need to be able to set up a road side stand, never met so many people clueless about so much in my life, now the only thing I did find out is a I dont need anything at all if I was selling xmas trees, licencing has no clue (thought maybe a peddlers licence) they sent me to zoning, they want me to file a app for $150 and dont even know if I need to, so now they have sent me to the dept of ag, them I have not been able to get on the phone yet, never seen so many layers of stupid, hope the state dept of ag knows, they are my last hope:lol:

2. Papakeith

Papakeith New Member

The easy way is to just set up shop. They will be sure to address it then ;).

The Ag dept should be able to answer most of your questions. Good luck.

3. Daniel Y

Daniel Y New Member

Zookeep, Get soemhtign form every department you speak to, in writing. That way later when you get no direction you can present those letters as evidence you did "Do diligence" Nobody expects you to find info amidst the morons. I work for the government and will tell you that we know the stories. YOu can't find out anythign form the person setign behind the desk. that is why they are at desks and not working. It is the grease covered guy in the shed out back that can give you the ins and outs in detail. and in triplicate. They don't let the public speak to him though.

4. oblib

oblib New Member

I'm with papakeith, set it up and see if they can then find regs why you can't. Keep good records of who you spoke to beforehand that could find no permit you needed. If you can show you tried in good faith to be legal it should keep you safe if for some reason you are not.

5. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

As an ex-Floridian I know you have seen people set at the side of the road sell boiled peanuts. Ask them! Here in Indiana every year I see many people set up roadside stands selling sweetcorn, tomatoes, etc. A good friend is on the county counsel and he sells sweetcorn on the side of the road from his truck. Down the road from me a lady sits in her van in front of a liquor store selling flowers. That's kinda funny to me. A guy can go in the liquor store by a case of beer and flowers. Go home get stupid drunk with his buddies, wife pissed the next day and he whips out the flowers saying "I'm sorry dear, won't happen again" (until several weeks later).

6. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

And no, I haven't done this!

I think, can't remember.........:lol:

7. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:rolling::rolling::rolling:

8. Omie

Omie New Member

Uh, Crazy8....I think the idea is to pick up a bottle of wine and a bouquet of flowers and bring it home for a romantic evening with your lady.... not get drunk with the boys and offer wilted flowers the next day.
    I see you have a lot to learn when it comes to romance! lol!

9. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Zookeep, In my younger days, a wise mentor taught me that "It's always better to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission". :wink:

Walt

10. crazy8days

crazy8days New Member

11. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

roadside stands for you.......

KEY: P = Permitted Use; L = Permitted Subject to Limitations in Section 5.3; SE = Special Exception Use; E = Existing; Blank = Use Not Permitted
    Farm/produce stand
    OPEN USE
    USE CATEGORY SPECIFIC USE OUA=L/SE OUC(blank) OUM(blank) OUR=L/SE OUE=L/SE (districts*see below)
    Standards 5.3.1.f *(see below)
    (L/SE means Permitted Subject to Limitations in Section 5.3; & special exception use)
    (blank next to or under the column means use not permitted in that district)

RESIDENTIAL
    RE RSF RMF RMH
    all blank-meaning use not permitted (roadside stand)

COMMERCIAL AND INDUSTRIAL
    CN OPI CG PCD CHI CI CM IR ILW GU
    all blank-meaning use not permitted (roadside stand)

Standards
    Open Use Standards.
    f. Farm/Produce Stand.
    1. A farm/produce stand provides a market for farmers to retail their products directly to consumers. The principal use shall consist of farm products grown or raised on-site. The sale of supplemental farm products grown or raised off-site is allowed. However, in no case shall all of the farm products be brought in from off-site. The property upon which the farm stand is located shall have an Agricultural (Greenbelt) Classification issued by the Sarasota County Property Appraiser. To enhance the income of farmers the sale of value added products made from farm products grown or raised on-site such as jam, juice etc., are also allowed as part of the principal use.

Accessory uses shall be clearly incidental and subordinate to the principal use and include only the following:
    — Sale of handmade crafts, candles, soap
    — Sale of homemade baked goods

zookeep,
    wow, i looked up your ordinance for this in sarasota county......quite picky folks down there. if i am reading your ordinance correctly, it would appear that roadside stands are allowed in certain zoned districts in the open use category, but not permitted in residential or commercial and industrial areas. permitted in these * zoniing districts:
    *OUA= Open Use Agricultural
    *OUR= Open Use Rural
    *OUE= Open Use Estate
    not permitted:
    *OUC=Open Use Conservation
    *OUM=Open Use Mining

also, from reading the ordinance, you do not want to be a 'street vendor', do not sell out of a cart or the back of any vehicle, otherwise you will complicate your life with obtaining 'temporary use permits' and other lovely ordinances that govern this. set up a table in the agricultural, rural and estate zoned districts in your county, etc, but don't sell out of your vehicle, ie, the back of a truck, unless you want to pay the fees and obtain the permit to sell outside of these districts.

here is a listing of the zoning districts to help you determine the abbreviations and also definitions; for example OUE Open Use Estate is in an urban rural area, or defined as a combination of residential and agricultural, on lots of 5 acres or less:

sarasota zoning districts

hope this is helpful or gives you a start, i would still contact the department of agriculture as you are doing. i would also ask whoever, if your roadside stand has to be placed outside the road right away, or if it can be in the road right away.....
    makes one's head spin.... :rules:

12. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

whoops forgot,
    your city code for 'peddlers and solicitors'

sarasota city code peddlers and solicitors

in short but read the section, this also includes the 150$ fee you were told to acquire by the zoning department, anyway reading the section may help you decide whether you want to sell in the city:
    Sec. 23-2. - Selling in streets, right-of-way, etc.[​IMG]
    (a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, dispense, peddle, hawk, display, offer to sell or solicit for sale by offering or exposing for sale any goods, wares, merchandise or services in or on any street, alley, thoroughfare, public right-of-way, public parking lot or median in the city from any table, booth, stand, cart, motor vehicle, showcase, bench, rack, push cart, wagon or any other wheeled vehicle or device which may be moved with or without the assistance of a motor or engine. It shall be unlawful for any person to sell, dispense or display for sale any food items or beverages in or on any street, alley, thoroughfare, public right-of-way, public parking lot or median in the city unless a permit for such purpose has been issued pursuant to Section 6-28 of the Zoning Code of the city.

more :rules:

:grin:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  13. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

thnx River, I did talk with the dept of ag and they sent me a email with a PDF file from hell,it looks like I have to qualify the same as a restaurant (no kidding) like open end seats on the toilets:lol: Im just going to stick with the farmers markets, lot less head aches and I wont have the urge to shoot govt employees :lol::rolling:

14. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Walt, I think you got it reversed. :roll:

15. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

zookeep,
    "I did talk with the dept of ag and they sent me a email with a PDF file from hell,it looks like I have to qualify the same as a restaurant (no kidding) like open end seats on the toilets:lol: Im just going to stick with the farmers markets, lot less head aches and I wont have the urge to shoot govt employees "

:shock: :lol:

16. Walt B

Walt B New Member

Efmesch, No...just do what you want. If you're called on it, beg for forgiveness, " Oh I'm so sorry, my brain should be eaten by a condor" and similar apologies. That kind of repentance can't be beat...and you did what you wanted :grin: ...and most of the time got away with it. :wink:

Walt

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I agree with Walt. Put up yard sale signs and keep the table near your house.

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I agree with all of Iddee and Walt. In Texas you suddenly require USDA or FDA inspection if you put it in the feed store, but can sell from your truck, van or yard all day long, as long as it is agricultural.

19. pistolpete

pistolpete New Member

Get with the times: Advertise for free on the internet. Whatever calssifieds web site most people use in your area. Here that's Craig's List and Kijiji. My wife posted our honey on a local facebook site and we sold out in about 3 hours. Granted we only had 60 LBS to sell, but it works. As long as you word it right: Raw local honey, just harvested from our hive, etc., you will get lots of interest.

20. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

Gypsi, Congrats on your new avatar. Real snazzy. :thumbsup: