Robber screen/moving screen

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Iddee, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I wouldn't leave it on during heavy flow in spring. Personally I just use pieces of 1x2 and screening and reduce my entrances down. I have a deep robber screen, and a nuc robber screen, but unless there is a problem I don't use either. I also don't use hbh or other essential oils in my hives.

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

All year is fine, but unnecessary during a flow.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It's that time of year again. Time to bring this to the front.

4. Mosti

Mosti New Member

​I still cannot figure out how to mount this on the front of a nuc/hive!

5. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Then you are looking for something too complicated. Look for simplicity. The two 6 in. pieces go against the hive and the long piece goes on the bottom board. It holds the screen 3/8 in. off the hive front, and is only accessible from the top.

6. ASTMedic

ASTMedic New Member

Mine sits between the sides of the bottom board to hold it upright. Works well.

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

The center box in the first pic has it installed. The second pic is a close up.

DSCN1463.JPG DSCN1464.JPG

8. Mosti

Mosti New Member

OK got it..so the extra piece of wood would not be necessary for a nuc right?

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Still 4 pieces of wood needed. Just the two horizontal ones would be shorter for a nuc. The fifth piece is used for blocking the entrance when moving the hive or nuc.

10. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Timely advice Iddee. Saw yellow jackets trying to sneek into the hives while working them this weekend. Be on the lookout for robing behavior and be prepared to stop it before it becomes a problem. Yellow jackets Hornets wasps and bees from other hived can decimate a colony very quickly.
    Thanks for the reminder.

11. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

Thanks for the reminder- lost 2 hives in one afternoon last year- couldn't build them in time. Will be ready this time.

12. Mosti

Mosti New Member

I am planning to build this tomorrow, however...would it be safe to mount it during the day or would that cause a problem for the house bees?

Another question; would the house bees clean the nuc all the same with the screen on, would they pull daed bees etc over the screen?

13. Iddee

Iddee New Member

It can be installed anytime. Yes, it will cause confusion, but it won't last long. The house bees will figure it out shortly. Check it for dead bee build up each week. I have never looked for cleaning action.

14. Lburou

Lburou Member

Iddee, would you please make a few comments on the minimum and maximum size of the opening in the robber screen. I had a big robbing problem last year and went down to one or two bee widths on the entrance and the robbers still found their way in......Is that too small?

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

I have always left the whole top open.Never had a problem with the robbers finding it.

I do use 1/8 inch hardware cloth, not window screen.

16. Lburou

Lburou Member

I'll make a few of those and try them, thanks :)

I've used the #8 screen as well. However, the tornado that hit my back yard May 15th gave us several (otherwise unusable) 44" X 60" pieces of bronze window screen, I may try that since its at hand. The reason the robbers are fooled is that the smells of the hive are down at the entrance and protected by the screens........I'm hoping the smaller screen will work as well as the #8. :)

17. Iddee

Iddee New Member

And also that the bees see the wire as a fence, not a wall. Use something solid and the robbers will find the entrance as quick as the home bees. Will the copper be a fence or a wall to them?

18. BoilerJim

BoilerJim New Member

OMG too funny! :rolling: