Robbing attempt foiled??

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by arkiebee, Jul 17, 2010.

1. arkiebee

arkiebee New Member

Hi guys - :wave: I haven't said too much here on the forum lately because things have been "ho - hum" with my bees - so I just read what you have to say about topics. BUT today -

I noticed something odd today - that I didn't have too many bees at my bird baths. ( I have 2 bird baths in the back yard close to my hives and the last several days/weeks the bees have been hitting them hard for water.) Later I noticed out of the corner of my eye, a frenzy of bees outside one of my hives, and this was one of my strong hives. It first looked like a swarm, but I saw bees boiling out of the top entrance as well, it looked like a robbing attempt to me. I read somewhere on this forum that turing the sprinklers on will help stop a robbing attempt, so I did that first. I got the water hose and just let them have it - not hard - but a good "sprinkle" I then went out and closed up the top entrance. I went around and closed up the top entrances on all of my hives as well as reduced their front entrances to about half. I hated to reduce the front entrance because of this heat, but they do have screen-bottom boards and top ventilated entrances (like Omi has on her bees - my husband made me some). All of my hives are about the same size and I know all of them have honey. So I was puzzled at this robbing attempt in the middle of a HOT day. I am really leary about robbing - I learned what can happen the hard way the first year I had bees and I didn't even realize it.

Do you guys think this was ok? Should I take the sticks out of the front entrance and just watch them & see what they do? They are really bearding out the front now. I am keeping the top entrances closed because they still have vents at the top.

Oh - and another happening a couple of days ago - I have one hive off to itself - with wire, etc around it - AND the cows just still had to get over the wire and turn it over. So I suited up and took a bit of smoke out there and fixed them back upright. They buzzed me, but they never did hit me - I guess they wanted to let me know that they were not happy campers! :lol:

Sandra

2. Iddee

Iddee New Member

What you did was fine. They will control the temps. as long as they can get out and beard. I never give extra openings in hot weather. They do just fine on their own.

As the flow decreases, robbing will become a bigger problem. Much more so than overheating.