Robbing Dead-Outs

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by melrose, Mar 15, 2012.

1. melrose

melrose New Member

After discovering a couple weeks back the four empty hives I started dis-assembly and cleaning.
    I'm left with med supers full of honey as well as deeps with pollen and honey.
    While cleaning, I was visited by a couple curious foragers to no issue.
    Yesterday I went back to collect some frames for a trap, and noticed bees all over one of my hives, the one that we thought was the first to be lost. We actually thought that these bees had vacated because we never saw any activity even though the other hives were buzzing.

When it cools down, I'm going to get into that hive to see if in fact the colony is still there, or we're simply being robbed.

We've closed off the entrances well enough for mice but bees can still get in and out.

If the hive is just being robbed, would I create an issue if I were to seran wrap the bottom and top to keep intruders out?

Thanks for the iput

2. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Melrose, I had a dead out this year that I did not have time to disassemble just like what you are describing. I went back a week later and I reckon a swarm had found it cause it was full of bees. All of this happened in February, I am planning to check it out thoroughly this weekend.

My intentions were to dismantle and use for swarm traps fortunately I never got the chance!

3. rast

rast New Member

Good learning experience. Study the bottom board where the bees are coming and going. Look for guard bees checking the incoming bees, if its a deadout being robbed, there won't be any. There will not be any bringing in pollen either. The bees will be rather "frantic" acting getting in also. Incoming foragers kinda come in to the landing board slower cause they are heavy laden so to speak.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I would not wrap the hive up. If the wax moth has visited your dead out hives when you go back for them it will be messy. If you are wanting the bees to rob the dead out I would break the hive apart and stand the boxes on their ends, this will let sunshine into the boxes and helps to deter the wax moth. Any of the combs that are cleaned out spray them with BT and then store inside.

5. kebee

kebee Active Member

G3farms, would like for you to tell me what BT stands for, not in glossery. Thanks

Kebee

6. melrose

melrose New Member

Curious also about BT

I really don't want the hives robbed out, I'd like to salvage the med supers honey. The rest I'll need to start the new packages.

thanks for all the info

7. Iddee

Iddee New Member

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

9. Iddee

Iddee New Member

G3, I beat you by a few seconds. :D

10. barry42001

barry42001 New Member

curious--would not a less expensive method to try be moth crystals in a pan under bottom super? Just a thought ( then wrap in plastic to contain the crystals )

11. G3farms

G3farms New Member

crystals have to be renewed when they finally evaporate and then the need to air out the frames before you use them. With the BT you can just grab a box of frames and use them, think of when a swarm call comes in and you need some equipment....now!!

12. G3farms

G3farms New Member

BT if fairly cheap 1/2 pound is under $25 delivered and will make many many gallons, not sure what crystals cost.

Most big commercial keeps have a cold room to store frames of drawn comb in.

13. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

wax moth crystals*... paracloro(whatever).... has several potentially nasty side effects*. first off part of the name informs you that a benzene ring is involved and anything with benzene can be potentially cause cancer. if you put boxes treated like this back unto a hive without airing for a couple of days you will pretty quickly discover just how angry a honeybee can become.

*don't get me wrong here... I have used wax moth crystals in the past and they are fairly inexpensive and do an excellent job of protecting drawn comb from the wax moth.

14. kebee

kebee Active Member

I see I am going to have to order me some of that for I have moths glorious around here, almost in swarms, even spray the frams before I put in hives, or such I wait until they are drawed out some.

Kebee

15. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Spray before, then spray after for extra insurance. It's cheap.

16. melrose

melrose New Member

I see alot of comments on freezing frames. I'm in upstate NY, 40 minutes North of Syracuse, we've been freezing for months now, do I still need to freeze frames before reusing them?

17. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

No need if they don't show sign of moths, you can take them out of the freezer and put them straight in the hive if you want to. When you use moth crystals you put them above in the stack of supers,about every fifth one high (the gas is heavier than air) not on the floor.I've been sold on Bt for the last 5 years now. Jack

18. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I like the BT. My life is complicated enough without trying to remember to air out moth crystals. I sprayed comb and put swarm traps out in early February - no moth damage - no bees, but no moth damage.