Robbing the Trapout

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by SlickMick, Sep 7, 2009.

1. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

The trap out that I have been working for the past couple of weeks + is one where I am unable to set up a catching hive for various reasons, instead, vacuuming the bees trying to get back in every evening.

The question that I have relates to robbing out the colony once I have no more bees exiting the cone, how do I encourage getting the honey and uncapped nectar robbed out. I have been thinking of setting up a nuc at the cone position after it has been removed and putting honey around the entrance/s to the colony.

Any other suggestions??

Mick

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Something I don't understand, if you are going to set up a nuc at the cone after all of the bees have exited so that they can go back int to rob it out, why can't you set up a nuc there now to catch the bees as they are coming out?

I would not think you would need to put honey arounf the entrance, they will smell the honey in the combs.

Good luck with it.

G3

3. SlickMick

SlickMick New Member

G3, I was only hoping to leave the box there for a few days as opposed to weeks with a bait box

Mick

4. DCoates

DCoates New Member

I smeared a little honey around the entrance of the hive I wanted robbed out. It got the bees in a robbing mood but unfortunately the hive inside the wall wasn't in the mood to be robbed. The hole was apparently small enough for the weakened hive to defened the entrance. I reinstalled the hive and will try again in about 3 weeks. I plan on smearing honey around the entrance to get the ball rolling when I do it again.