Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trap out that I have been working for the past couple of weeks + is one where I am unable to set up a catching hive for various reasons, instead, vacuuming the bees trying to get back in every evening.

The question that I have relates to robbing out the colony once I have no more bees exiting the cone, how do I encourage getting the honey and uncapped nectar robbed out. I have been thinking of setting up a nuc at the cone position after it has been removed and putting honey around the entrance/s to the colony.

Any other suggestions??

·
Premium Member
5,162 Posts
Something I don't understand, if you are going to set up a nuc at the cone after all of the bees have exited so that they can go back int to rob it out, why can't you set up a nuc there now to catch the bees as they are coming out?

I would not think you would need to put honey arounf the entrance, they will smell the honey in the combs.

Good luck with it.

G3

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
G3, I was only hoping to leave the box there for a few days as opposed to weeks with a bait box

·
Registered
49 Posts
I smeared a little honey around the entrance of the hive I wanted robbed out. It got the bees in a robbing mood but unfortunately the hive inside the wall wasn't in the mood to be robbed. The hole was apparently small enough for the weakened hive to defened the entrance. I reinstalled the hive and will try again in about 3 weeks. I plan on smearing honey around the entrance to get the ball rolling when I do it again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts