Robbing

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by Zookeep, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

its the worst I have ever seen it, i went by 1 of my yards Sunday morning and took a fast peek in 2 hives, nothing big, lifted maybe 3 frames total but by the time I was done all 7 hives were fighting off robbers, all of them were being attacked at the same time,4 of the hives Im not worried about they are very strong, 2 nucs there are also 4 or more full frames of bees with a very small entrance but the 7th hive was already very weak, i closed it down to a single bee entrance but I am almost sure will be a loss before I can even get a robber screen on it today, has any1 else had this kind of mass robbing hit in a hole yard?

2. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Zookeep, are these your bees doing the robbing? or in your area it could be AHB? Several years ago my beek. buddy and i ordered 15 Itaiian queens each from a queen breeder,when we got them established in our hives beekeeping became a living hell. You couldn't take the lid off a hive anytime, even during a flow without causing a robbing frenzy. It took two years to get rid of them. To be fair, i've had other Italian bees that was not that bad for robbing,but during a dearth they would. I now have (i think) Carniolan bees, there not that bad about robbing and winter good in my area. Jack

3. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

Well, the weak hives dead and c,losed up, theyare still hitting the other 6 hives ther even now, there has to be a feral hive near by but if the fcighting does not stop soon I may just have to pull the hives and move them to the other yards for now, other 3 yards have no problems at all

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Can you track the robbers flight path? (and yes, I went through this last year, drought and dearth encourage robbing)

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Man, it must be bad if you are contemplating moving them as a recourse! :???:

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well zookeep it use to be at this time of year my good neighbors to the south brought bees back from North Dakota about this time of year and set them down in a yard a mile or so up the road. large populated hives that pretty soon found their way down here and would systematically pick off any weak hive up until the first real hard cold snap. robber guards helped quite a lot but never really totally eliminated this problem. my good neighbor no longer takes his bees to North Dakota so this problem has somewhat resolved itself here.

7. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

tec that might just be it, alot of the traveling hives are back in Florida and since this is a new yard for me maybe I need to take another look around the area and see whats showed up.

8. Lburou

Lburou Member

Our war on robbers...

This year we had two hives that could protect themselves and three more that I reduced the entrance to one bee. One (NUC) hive, just taken from a water meter box last month, couldn't defend that tiny opening and I had to put a robber screen on it and close the opening entirely for four days. The floor of that hive was covered with dead bees when I opened it to combine it with another hive.

Some of the blame is on me though. I was feeding syrup and tried some vinegar in it. That draws robbers for sure. Lesson learned. :)

9. pturley

pturley New Member

I beelined a few robbers from one of my hives getting robbed (J25) earlier this year. Several bees tracked did an 8 to 10 foot circle directly in front of the target hive only up to about 5 feet in elevation, then turned back and landed on the board of another one of my hives only about 6 feet away

By all appearances my two strongest hives were the most active participants.

Other bees, in much smaller numbers (only a few) were tracked SE of my yard OR they were my bees outbound to forage in that direction.

Entrance reducers along with a few fresh cut branches in front of the source hives seemed to help break the cycle of robbers arriving at the hive (at least slow them down a bit). I also combined another cut-out hive with the one that was being robbed (Better able to defend itself). This is now my lightest hive going into winter (I'll be feeding this one fairly soon) but they are currently clustered up are doing well today.

10. HisPalette

HisPalette New Member

Lost number 3 this past Sunday...We have 4 left...We used robbing screens, but due to inexperience, did not recognized the robbing signs soon enough before much damage was done. Weather, robbing frenzy and yellow jackets complicated everything. Made bee candy today and placed it on all the hives above the clusters. It was around 65 and all were flying. Praying and hopeful we have save the remaining colonies. we hope...

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

If I could have moved my bees 20 miles
    Sooner last year they might not have
    Died. Is that an option?