Robo Vac with Integrated Vacuum Motor.

Discussion in 'Building plans, blueprints, and finished projects' started by Lburou, Nov 4, 2012.

1. Lburou

Lburou Member

This is my version of the RoboVac (as shown @ Buskillvac.com). I've helped a friend on several bee retrievals using a box and a separate 5-gallon bucket vacuum (sold @ Home Depot). Since I had a small 20 year old shop vac, I stripped it down to the motor with its handles and mounted it in a box the approximate size and shape of the top portion of a Robo Vac (now its one component for ease of transportaion and use).

You can see the adjustable vent to control suction next to the vacuum motor. Simple, but effective.

Attached Files:

2. Lburou

Lburou Member

Making the top box without a removable partition on top required fabrication of a screen to keep the bees out of the vacuum motor and to leave in place during transport to your bee yard. Seeing G3farms' duck taped screen, I put some extra 3/4 and 4 inch reinforcements on this screen. The 4 inch cross bar will also double as rigidity when strapped to the hive body.

You can see the underside of the top box before adding the adjustable vent.

Attached Files:

3. Lburou

Lburou Member

How I made the bottom box

I used dado blades in my circular saw to cut the rise for the bottom board. I used the same dado blades in a table saw to cut the parts containing the sliding door for the suction opening. You can see the final result. The door has some friction on opening and closing. I don't expect it to open in transit.

Look closely at the last adjustable door to see how the cuts were made to frame the door. Sorry about the focus....Thats how everything close up looks with out my glasses, so I didn't noticie until now. ;)

Attached Files:

4. gunsmith

gunsmith New Member

Can't wait to see it in action.

5. Lburou

Lburou Member

Handles, everybody needs handles!

I combined a handle with a tie down function as shown. Don't know if the PVC will be strong enough....We'll see. :)

Attached Files:

6. Lburou

Lburou Member

Me too! WooHoo!

7. Lburou

Lburou Member

I forgot to mention that everything was from scrap or something I had at the house. Even the hive body is recycled from some closet shelves I took out during our recent remodeling project. :)

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Very nice! :thumbsup:

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Looks good some good ideas using slide gates and cross supports for straping

10. G3farms

G3farms New Member

I like the sliding gate on the bottom board........................going to steal it!!!!

11. Lburou

Lburou Member

On my next box, I made the sliding gate with a screen so it would help ventilate during a move.