RR Tie cut out or trap out

Discussion in 'Swarms, Cut outs, and Trap outs' started by TexasnewBee, Feb 21, 2012.

1. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

I have a hollowed out RR Tie with a nest in it, that I have been gearing up, to cut open and move them to a hive, possibly this weekend. The main access hole that they leave and return in, is in the top of the tie. There are some other openings that they do not seem to use very much. I just started thinking :confused: , what are the chances I could place a new bottomless hive box with new frames and foundation on the top of the tie and expect them and the queen to move up into? I do not have any predrawn frames to place in the box. I do not know which one would give the best chance of success. I thought if they would move up, it would be less stressful on them. Any advice is much appreciated since this is all new to me. Thanks in advance.

2. G3farms

G3farms New Member

You could always give it a try and see if they would move up. For a bottom board use a piece of plywood with a hole in it to match the entrance you are wanting them to come up through. Hole saws make nice clean holes in the plywood also.

Keep us posted on what you do and how it goes!!

3. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks G3farms, I was thinking bottomless but a bottom with a hole makes more sense. I assume I should try to block off all other access holes in the tie. So I guess I would use a entrance reducer in the hive box and could also instll the entrance feeder?

4. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

While the queen has brood in the RR tie, she won't leave it very quickly. Be prepared for the process to take a good while (a month or even longer). Best chance for success would probably when a honey flow starts and the bees build the foundation up above. Queens like to lay in new combs and she would then work her way up. After the brood emerges out down below you could close the passage-way and move the hive to a permanent spot (according to the rules of relocating).

5. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm looking forward to following your success. This is new territory for me so I'm interested in seeing/hearing the process.
    Jim

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Yes you could use an entrance reducer and entrance feeder, they will find the new entrance you provide for them. When a flow starts they will more than likely run out of room fast in a RR tie and move up into the new home you have provided for them. Give them plenty pf time and when you see eggs in the new box look good for the queen on the new frames.

7. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup: . I think I'll give it a try. I just built the temporary bottom board with the hole in it. I'm thinking this method would be easiest on the bees and possibly myself (although not quite as much fun as cutting them out :p ). The only disadvantage I can think of is that it will take longer to get them all in the box, but I don't really have a time limit, since this is on my own property.

8. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Patience is one of the first things to learn in beekeeping. :D

It will be an easy way to ease into the hobby without going over your head.

9. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

I would definitely go with the trap out, and wait for the queen to come up.

10. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Well thanks for all of y'alls help! It is done. The hive box is on the tie.
    I made the bottom board and cut about a 1" diameter hole in the middle of it as suggested by G3
    [​IMG]

Then first thing this morning, I placed the bottom board on the top of the RR tie and lined up the main access hole in the top of the tie with the hole in the bb, and used 2 screws to secure the bb to the tie. Then placed the box, frames, tops, entrance reducer and feeder in place.
    [​IMG]

Then at lunch today I came home to see if they had discovered and using there new entrance/exit and sure nuf... :yahoo:
    [​IMG]

There was a lot of activity ( more that what it looks in the photo ). Of course it was 77 deg today. Well, we'll keep our fingers crossed that the queen will realize at some point that she has a roomy penthouse above and can leave the shack she lives in now. :beg: Thanks again for all the help.

11. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Very nice setup, very nice lid - oh my bees would like such fancy roofs. (not likely to get them.)

12. jim314

jim314 New Member

Good work :thumbsup: :coolphotos:

13. efmesch

efmesch Active Member

VERY nicely done! :thumbsup:

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Looks good, keep us informed on the progress and we just love to look at pics on here!!

15. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Thanks for the comments. You guys/gals are awesome.
    Ok what up with this? Yesterday, the first day of this adventure, it was 77 deg and there was pretty good activity and quite a bit of pollen being brought in. Today is colder 55 deg, north wind, sunshine. I observed this evening a similar amount of activity, but no pollen being brought in. I have 1:1 w/Honey B Healthy in the entrance feeder. Yesterday they scarfed up about half of it. Today most of it was gone. If my girls were going to the trouble to leave the hive wouldn't they be bringing in pollen? Are these robber bees that are coming in and helping themselves to the syrup, while my girls are are cuddled up staying warm down in the RR tie? Seems strange to me. :confused:

16. jim314

jim314 New Member

It's probably not another feral hive taking the syrup unless you are seeing fighting at the entrance. Others here with more experience may know better though.

17. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Yes I was looking for that, but no fighting observed.

18. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

thanks for the input here TexasnewBee.

next time you are down this way (for the crowd TexasnewBee has a daughter that lives near by) do stop by.

19. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Great pics, please do continue to keep us up to date on your progress, very interesting. :thumbsup:
    I am still astounded that heoneybees took up in a railroad tie! :shock:

20. TexasnewBee

TexasnewBee Member

Yes the RR tie thing is strange. Once they get all moved out of it, I will open it up and take some pics as to how they were arranged in there.
    It was low 60s today and the bees were back today haulin in pollen so I do not know what the deal was yesterday, with all the activity but no pollen.