Russells

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by Ray, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Ray

Ray Member

Interesting (?) developments over at Russell's
    http://russellapiaries.webs.com/

The forums, Locations Near You, and Links pages have been removed temporarily.
    Our legal representatives are working to stop the false allegations that have been spread around. These pages will be activated again as soon as that has been completed. Thank you for your patience and support.

2. jb63

jb63 New Member

3. camero7

camero7 Member

Russell refunded money to me recently for queens never delivered. Didn't get a refund for the crappy queens he sent.

4. jb63

jb63 New Member

What chaps my a$$ is he portrayed himself as a Dr. of entomology but when you see his mug shot he's a 29 yr. old with a mullet.

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I must say jb63 long ago when I visited the russell web site I had question about his educational identity. something just didn't sound right although at the time I couldn't have told you exactly what it was.

as some here may know my good wife is a 'doctor' (Phd) and I have made comments to her that with the rise of on line and virtual universities there will be a wholesale reduction in the value of having the doctor attached to the end of your name. I don't know how many cases I have seen here where someone's educational credentials were largely manufactured from thin air (including one high level administrator here at Texas A&M who had avoided detection for almost a decade before his scam was uncovered).

6. camero7

camero7 Member

He was pretty good at writing stuff that he basically stole from other sites and presenting it as his own. Resume boosting is an old practice and I agree, the internet helps that. Any of us could be a Phd for a few $.

7. Tyro

Tyro Member

Good point tec. Personally, I can't stand online education (I have a Ph.D. in Zoology - University of Oklahoma, 2000). We offer a few online classes, mostly in non-majors courses. They can't come close to the same academic levels as our face-to-face classes (the lab portions of the classes suffer the most).

While an 'on-line' Ph.D. may be possible in other fields though - I don't know that it can ever come to science. A Ph.D. in science involves very little actual coursework or class time. It does require a TON of independent research (either field or lab), which can't be done 'on-line'.

I had my suspicions about Russell's credentials from the start. I am familiar with a very tiny bit of what is involved in raising unique strains of bees. I am well acquainted with research methodology though. I never saw (and no one could provide evidence for) the foundation work or the established protocols for making all those strains honestly (with the exception of the Sunkist line - which I understand was actually his father's).

Mike

8. riverbee

riverbee Active Member

"Resume boosting is an old practice and I agree, the internet helps that"

resume boosting, and i might add a lot of prevarication of one's credentials. the internet is a powerful tool and a powerful weapon.*
    i myself was the victim of a quite unsavory character, and the loss of a substantial amount of money for bees. i also had an old friend who owns her own business. going through her online 'resume' was quite humorous, not to mention that there it was in black and white, a quite blown up description of an elite executive position she held.......mine, and she was a subordinate whom i let go to find a different profession......:lol:

*we can use the internet, email vs snail mail and the telephone to check and verify credentials. there is mountains of information available to the public, and to a certain degree, if you know how to get it. likewise, the internet is a powerful weapon to be used, in the sense that one can put someone out of business and greatly damage what there is or was of their reputation for their unsavory and dishonest practices.

9. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

well I do think online education has a place. my wife does some of this and for working professional, working single parents and military persons (doing a tour somewhere across the globe) this may be their only viable alternative to take class work and add to their own understanding of a certain subject matter or add credit hours to an advanced degree. I suspect often time at least part of the motivation is quite often employers may foot part of the bill. up to now (at least here) I don't think they issue degrees based solely on on line type classes. the 'up to now' question seems to be a point or argument currently within the ranks of the local university professor folks.

10. Tyro

Tyro Member

For some subjects, I think that on-line education is probably ok (history, maybe foreign languages, writing courses, etc.). I just know that it is disastrous for the sciences. I covered an on-line biology class one semester. It had maybe 10% of the material that I covered in my lecture class of the same number.

Unfortunately though, Administrators LOVE the on-line format. It is really inexpensive (no overhead, faculty generally get paid adjunct rates, etc.). So it wouldn't surprise me at all if the complete on-line degree weren't offered soon.

But my point was not to disparage on-line coursework, only to point out that in the sciences (the field in which Russell claimed his degree), it is currently not possible to get advanced degrees via on-line, due to the nature of the process.

Mike

11. Ray

Ray Member

http://russellapiaries.webs.com/

Russell Apiaries forced to close 03/13

SNIP:
    Sadly, after restructuring the company in order to develop the state operator program, and investing so much into that program on top of major health issues, we were forced to close and enter bankruptcy upon the exiting of many of the operators due to some false allegations made on another website. All creditors have been listed in the bankruptcy and you should receive a notice of this in the mail. We took a large risk in the hopes that we could benefit the industry in great ways by creating a future of specifically localized acclimated genetics, and with the fall of that program and failing health, we have lost too much to be able to survive the damages.

There are still several excellent producers with our stocks, and we will continue to refer incoming requests to them. With the closing of the company, all production, retail, and wholesale activities were halted. This website will instead be used as an educational tool for Robert Russell to personally reach the many supporters that seek his advice. These writings will of course include a multitude of beekeeping and gardening topics, such as management techniques, selection methods, equipment construction, pest and disease control, and evolutionary theory, as well as an interesting and very personal look at the connections between our diets and the fight against cancer.