Beekeeping Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm a first-time beekeeper, I started with a 5 frame nuc 4 weeks ago and right off the bat had a condensation problem. I fixed that but every weekend I do a hive inspection and I cant help but feel like something is off. My girls are still on the original 5 frames and haven't even started to move into the new frames. I also have seen the queen every inspection along with new eggs and larva in all stage but my numbers have not seemed to grow. Then today I went in and the brood pattern seemed spotty and some of the cells had sunken caps and on most brood frames were one or two shriveled brown looking pupa. I have included some pictures below.
Is this sacbrood?
Can I bounce back from this or is my hive doomed?
What do I need to do to combat this virus?
Screen Shot 2018-06-02 at 8.36.41 PM.png

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
I will have to research the virus, but number one feed feed feed on a new hive and number 2 be sure ventilation is adequate. I'll try to check in tomorrow, have to crack a book on sacbrood

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called out my state hive inspector from the Department of Ag. He diagnosed the bees as having European Foulbrood and said that the hive was already pretty far gone. He said I could get a prescription of terramycin to treat the virus but he doubted that with the low numbers in the hive and the advanced state of the disease he thought my season was over. It is a real bummer to have my first season end a month in but I was also told this disease is running rampant this season.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
Drought and dearth create bored nursebees, and they save larva they should not, according to my bee inspector. Do the terramycin. Move your bees to clean equipment, harvest all wax and honey for human consumption, give bees foundation and a jar of sugar water and a small front entrance. Keep the sugar water filled, sprinkle terramycin on top of the frames per directions. I've beat it, you have a chance. Where are you, btw? Could you put location in your signature line, if it is rampant others will want to know.

·
Super Moderator
3,504 Posts
I have just posted EFB images on the thread titled "Larva being carried off in high numbers". The OP hasn't had the bee inspector yet, but may well have EFB as well. You might take a look at that thread.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts