Sad day in te bee yard................

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by G3farms, Jan 24, 2012.

1. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Checked on bees today, not good. Have lost 9 hives and three nucs, just have one hive and one nuc left. One of the hives was the long lasting survivor hive of 7 or 8 years. A couple had starved out but the others had plenty of stores, bee bread and some evidence of brood. No bees to be found in the boxes or outside on the ground, just gone. Will try to get some pics in a couple of days. Bright side is will have plenty of empty equipment come spring.

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Man, G3, sorry to hear that! No bees? I hope you figure out what happened. My hives went into winter smaller than I'd have liked, seems a common thing in my area this winter. Fingers crossed.

3. Iddee

Iddee New Member

Sounds like Nosema. Better order some Fumidil. Spores will still be in the boxes.

Sorry for the loss.

4. jim314

jim314 New Member

I'm really sorry to hear that G3. Was there evidence of Nosema around the entrance? I have a little on all three hives, but not much.

Jim

5. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Hey Jim.
    Nosema apis is a visable one (dysentry stains) Nosema ceranae does not show visible signs.

6. G3farms

G3farms New Member

Nope, no visible signs of anything. All of these hives were flying five weeks ago I know for a fact, checked each and every one of them for stores and any dead outs. Sad day but you can't let that get the best of you, like I said, plenty of empty equipment for the spring!! Chin up and move forward!!

Just when you think you have thing kind of going your way, BAM!!

Will feed the remaining two hives with Fumidil. Will have to make a trip to the Co-Op, better call first to see if they even have any on the shelf.

7. jim314

jim314 New Member

Thanks Perry, I learned something else :wave: And now it makes me worry about mine :eek:

Jim

8. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

Small amount of staining is not abnormal, keep an eye on it if it gets bad.

9. Marbees

Marbees Member

Sad day G3, glad you are trying to see the bright side. You are survivor. :thumbsup:

10. d.magnitude

d.magnitude New Member

G3, I'm really sorry to hear that. If you're curious enough, you could send samples to the Bee Lab in Beltsville, MD. They will check comb and/or dead bees for pathogens for free.

For the hives with no bees left in the hive or out- that sounds like CCD symptoms. What else leads to a total lack of bees (besides absconding)? What's the weather been like?

11. Intheswamp

Intheswamp New Member

G3, I hate to hear of your loss. I'm just a newbee trying to get started and your report is a bit unsettling for me, but your attitude is very encouraging to me!!! Thanks for sharing this with us...and may you rebuild bigger and better!!!

Best wishes!!!
    Ed

12. Omie

Omie New Member

I really feel for you, that's a pretty big blow.
    But as you say, you'll have tons of comb and stores on hand to give any new spring bees a huge jumpstart.

13. riverrat

riverrat New Member

sorry to here of your losses. I am worried about the hives in this area we havent had a winter at all its been in the 50's all week. Bees been flying off and on all winter and have not really went into a hard cluster.

14. G3farms

G3farms New Member

As far as the weather here, been down in the 20 a couple of times but nothing major. Was around 54 yesterday, that is why I decided to check on the bees. The one strong hive that I still have (knocking on wood) was bringing in all different colors of pollen.

15. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

a snip..
    Nosema apis is a visable one (dysentry stains) Nosema ceranae does not show visible signs.

tecumseh:
    uhh well not exactly. staining by nosema apis is fairly common where Perry lives... this is associated with long periods of dormancy where the bees cannot fly. in places where the bees fly on a regular bases there may well be no staining. in much of the southern us nosema of both types is very subtle although there are tell tell signs.

national data sets suggest nosema apis is now quite rare so the odds are if you have nosema it is of the newer (caranea) type.

just wondering G3, you did have a modestly good fall... right? that is nothing especially unusual weather wise in the past 3 or 4 months?

ps... oh yea I am sorry to hear of this loss... I will relay the message a friend of mine's mother gave him log ago in a similar circumstance (different species of animal) 'son if you have 'em, you are going to loose some'.

16. Indiana Dave

Indiana Dave New Member

That's a tough one to take. Sorry about your losses. I feel for you. I hate hearing about people losing their hives.

17. Hog Wild

Hog Wild New Member

Sorry to hear of your loss G3, it has been an unseasonably mild Winter here too. Peach trees already blooming....

Great attitude and good luck re-building.

18. G3farms

G3farms New Member

fairly warm weather for this time of year, matter of fact was in a tee shirt all day today,

19. Omie

Omie New Member

At least two more months of winter to go here...usually the crocuses are the first thing to bloom sometime around April 1st or so... !
    We had 45F yesterday, but for several days right before that it was around 0-15F in the daytime..... =8-o Spring isn't in the cards for a good long while yet for us yanks. Oh, the virtues of merino wool undergarments! :D

20. Bens-Bees

Bens-Bees New Member

I actually thought we had a bad fall... we didn't get a very long goldenrod bloom I didn't think... of course I'm a few miles north of G3, but not that far. But it was nothing that would wipe out that many colonies.

G3, any smell of any kind in those hives? Reason I ask is that Mike Studer told me a story about an AFB hive near you that he found and killed and sealed up, and I'm just thinking maybe that wasn't the only AFB hive in the area and it might have spread... on the other hand there might be something out that way that just kills hives in the fall... I had two abscond the year before last in late summer from out that way, not too far from you I would imagine... I have one more out there now, but I haven't checked that one since spring when I dropped one of the hive bodies and it landed sideways and frames and bees went everywhere and it was a heck of a mess so I just put it back together and decided to leave it alone to recover (or not) on it's own and keep whatever honey they could make for themselves. At least they had eggs in the other hive body so that if the queen got squished they could have replaced her... but I don't even know what shape it's in, I was planning to stop by and add an entrance feeder and some pollen sub this Saturday if they made it ok. Makes me wonder if that area's just a bad area though... maybe some kinda funk out that way... nos. c, or AFB or maybe even something in the river.

Oh my goodness you poor thing!! We've had crocuses blooming for weeks now, and I've seen two dandelions bloom already... although it's early for both, but this has been a warm winter. I hate winter though, and I just couldn't handle winter lasting until April.