Sad News!

Discussion in 'Bee News' started by 40 Acre Bees, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

2. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

Emotional news story. Thanks for posting the link.
    It comes down to hive yard location. Which is easier said than done, but we need to find yards that are away from fields and crops that are being sprayed and treated. It can be trying as crops are rotated to different fields over the years so that field of alfalfa for the past 5 years suddenly becomes a field of corn.

3. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

One trip around the country side where I live would open a person's eyes real quick. I see spraying almost EVERY DAY, and it's never just before dark, or early in the morning either. I just may take a few pictures next time I am out and about.
    It would make you stop eating half of what you do.
    40 Acre Bees would know of what I speak.

4. G3farms

G3farms New Member

That sure is a sad sad news story for sure. Poor old fella has really been hit hard.

I just can't figure out why big money is so danged greedy!

5. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Heart breaking story. I'm glad he got a few facts regarding pollination at the end.

6. DonMcJr

DonMcJr New Member

I was excited to see a Farmer near me spraying at 11pm at night on his tractor with the lights on. At least some farmers understand!

7. srvfantexasflood

srvfantexasflood New Member

Does he farm near your hives? Maybe it's a good opportunity to show your appreciation with a jar of honey. Couldn't hurt and he might pass on his practice to other farmers. Good Karma, as they say?

8. 40 Acre Bees

40 Acre Bees New Member

With this pesticide (Neonicotinoid) it doesn't matter what time of day they spray because the seed is coated with this deadly toxin and then it gets in the pollen and water. This stuff is deadly and needs to be banned in Canada. The EU has banned it for at least 2 years. It is processed by Bayers. We need to speak up about this, our bees and future depend on it!