Sad

Discussion in 'General Beekeeping' started by tecumseh, Feb 12, 2013.

1. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

SAD stands for seasonally affected disorder. Has anyone besides myself noticed how a lot of new beekeeper are overcome by this disease? Very calm folks become agitated and impatient. Old men who haven't even notice pretty girls in decades all of a sudden begin spending great amounts of time out on the edges of their property fretting over white boxes and talking about 'my girls'.

From some distance it does have the appearance of the oddest behavior!

2. PerryBee

PerryBee New Member

:lol: :thumbsup: :rolling:
    (It doesn't only affect new beekeepers) :wink:

3. blueblood

blueblood New Member

I'm Chronic for sure...:grin:

4. Noronajo

Noronajo New Member

There you go ignoring "old women" again!!!

5. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

OH! So it is definitely not a genetic disease associated with sex alleles?

I didn't mean to exclude the ladies as possible carriers of this disease.

It does seem to affect 'old men' in a strange way in that they suddenly start talking to themselves and get increasing anxious the more approximate they become to the arrival of spring.

6. jim314

jim314 New Member

Yes, I'm an old man that is afflicted. I make daily trips out to the hives to see how they are doing. And so far they are all doing extremely well :)

7. Lburou

Lburou Member

"Guilty as charged your honor" :thumbsup:

While living in Alaska, SAD was a real thing. I'm enjoying the sunny days and the early bee activity we have today here in Texas. :)

8. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

It is not limited to old men. i went out and gave all my girls valentines bee candy on Thursday.

I even flipped a pair of boxes (they had moved to the top and were burrcombing the lid on, medium full of bees and a little stores went to the bottom, Deep with a couple of empty frames went to the top. No stings, despite the sudden change of plans after I pried the lid off.

9. ApisBees

ApisBees Active Member

I live in a valley that can be gray and dreary for weeks at a time because of valley clouds and low laying fog. The solution, go to the top of the mountain to skiing, or to just sit out on the patio for lunch and a beer. Nothing like a couple of hours in the sun to recharge ones batterys.

10. Bsweet

Bsweet Member

I AM NOT AFFECTED, I AM NOT AFFECTED and you can't make me go to no meetings!

11. afterburn001

afterburn001 New Member

Our bees came out for the first time since last fall a few days ago. My wife and I were happy to see them! We defiantly miss them over the winter.

We did lose two hives this year :(

12. Ray

Ray Member

Hi! My name is Ray, and I am an meliferaholic! And it's awesome!

13. Ray

Ray Member

I have just discovered a new symptom of SAD.
    Although I believe others have been aware of it and were too nice to comment

:oops: Chronic babbling posts on beekeeping forums :oops:
    Maybe I don't have it too bad (yet), I didn't once mentioned extraterrestrials or communists:lol:

14. Eddy Honey

Eddy Honey New Member

I must have it worse then because I make multiple trips per day out to the bees :)

15. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

I've had it for years, but it's worse now. I think since we had several days of 70F weather last weekend, and now cloudy and cold and rain/snow possible, it's even worse than usual.

16. Zookeep

Zookeep Active Member

yep I guess it would be bad to have SAD but since I can open bee boxes 350 out of 365 days a year I have (well, not a cure) whats needed to stave off the symptoms :dance:

17. Gypsi

Gypsi Super Moderator Staff Member

Zookeep, we have got the best of it. Well maybe I have the best of it, my bees don't seem to have varroa either. (although powdered sugar dusting would give me something to do after the gardening, the chicken chasing, the goat feeding, the plant starting, the tree pruning, the aquatic plant tending and the dog walking...)

I sometimes look at the bees twice a day. On the way to turn some chickens loose, and on the way to lock them up. Other than that I have a suit on and am in there all day.

Meliferaholism is really fun!

18. brooksbeefarm

brooksbeefarm New Member

Most of use are in the SAD program already. But if your not, a good indication that you should be,(for men, don't know about women?) is when your in line at the supermarket and those pretty young women start calling you,Honey, Sweetheart,ect. and a young man says hear let me get that for you (and you can carry it with one hand):roll: The girls in the bee yard don't treat me any different than they use to,and i can do what i want to, and when i want to.:thumbsup: Well almost.:lol: Jack

19. Slowmodem

Slowmodem New Member

A couple of years ago, they built a new Kroger store close to where I work. Since I live in the country, my wife will email me a list and I'll stop after work and pick up whatever we need.

I stopped in one Wednesday and picked up what was on the list and headed to the checkout. The cashier said, "Do you get the Senior Discount?" I felt like a knife had been stuck in my back! "What?!? I'm not old!" I said. That sure was a shock!

I didn't know that Wednesday is Senior Day at Kroger and they had a Senior Discout. But I was only 55 then. (maybe working a swing shift makes me look old, or maybe it was because the cashier was still in her teens). I felt bad for a day or two, but then I thought, well, why not? Savings are savings. But the next time I went on a Wednesday, they said I had to be 60 to get it. So at least I'm not officially Senior to them, but now I'm not getting any savings. It's kind of a two-edged sword.

20. kebee

kebee Active Member

Yes like today, I went to home depot to get another peace of tin for the porch and the girl asked if I needed some help loading it. My goodness I needed more help putting it on the roof and fasten it down than help to the pickup, I do love the little discounts I get though, about covers the tax on the items.

kebee