Salt

Discussion in 'Beekeeping 101' started by jim314, Oct 16, 2011.

1. jim314

jim314 New Member

I was working in my workshop today and had a bee with me all afternoon. She wasn't upset, she was obviously looking for salt. It was nearly 90 degrees here today and I was sweating some. I would come in the house to check the football scores, and she would show up within a minute after I went back out. She was all over my hands, arms, back of my neck and forehead. Of course, the anticipation of a sting helped her cause because I sweated just a little bit more :)
    I've had this happen before and would get stung when I would accidently trapped a bee between fingers or my arm and body.
    Has anyone given the bees a salt supplement? It seems they want it.
    Jim

2. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

I can't say I have ever heard of a salt supplement for bees. I have read that bees will be attracted to water with just a tad bit of salt in it long before they are attracted to pure water (pure water should have no smell).

3. jb63

jb63 New Member

I added a table spoon of shamrock brand mineral salt to my bird bath water.The goal was to keep them out of the dog kennel.It worked,there use to be hundreds in the dog urine [grossed my wife out]after adding the salt I never saw more than 5 in the dog run.

4. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

:goodpost:

perhaps a good clue as to how to keep bees from messing around your neighbors hot tub??

5. jb63

jb63 New Member

That's a good idea tec.I just moved 12 over to a farm with a neighbors pool 400 yds. away.I'll give them a table spoon today and see if it does any thing.I think we have sun today and tomorrow then rain.

6. tecumseh

tecumseh New Member

do tell us how it goes jb63.

7. riverrat

riverrat New Member

I have heard stories where people have had chlorine pools with no bee problems. Then convert them over to the new salt water pools and having bee problems they didnt have before

8. G3farms

G3farms New Member

try some of the trace mineral salt like you would feed to livestock.